• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to get insurance & tag for my MUTT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

HILLBILLY 06

I have a 4-67 data plate in mine, and I just tried today to talk to the insurance people about liability for it, so I can get a tag.... It got kicked in the system or something, it has not been registered before I think she said, but she entered it anyway, and said she would let us know if the state kicked out completely or if it would pass to insure.... "I cant get a tag here in Alabama without proof of insurance". So if it get's kicked out of the system there, I can't get a tag.
Kind of sux, cause I can't even drive it to the beer store without insurance and a tag.... and thats only a mile from here....LOL
I hope it all goes O.K. but I guess my big question here is... "What do I do if they kick the data plate" from the State level? My mutt isn't one of those already restored ones... it still need's some work here and there to be even road ready. Things like new tires, some body work, but not real bad, turn signal Flasher is fried, need one of those too. The differentials and Tranny leak a little, but not bad. It runs, you can drive it, the lights and brakes lights work, the brakes even work good, but no tag, no insurance, no can drive.... "bummer"
So I will wait a few day's to see if I get a phone call, or if I get a slip of paper to keep in my wallet saying I actually have insurance, so I can get a tag.... "If they will even issue a tag" for my old MUTT.
I aint got a Title for it, don't need one for antique vehicles here in Alabama, but I sure wish I would have thought about how much easier things were, if the other dude had even simply put a tag on it when he owned it.... Man that would have made everything so much easier. Any suggestions??

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS.
Go to the google toolbar at the top of the page and type in "insurance" then start reading , you will find 100's of threads on insurance . I'm pretty sure the moderators will close this one shortly .

HILLBILLY 06

well, i tried the word tag, but that didn't work... Lots of pics were "tagged" for one reason or another... But I will try your advice and search insurance

I didn't have any trouble insuring mine but it did come w/title. If your company won't do it, try another. There are lots of threads on it (different companies). When I bought my deuce, I had insurance with State Farm and they agreed to insure it. A few months later, I was notified that they were switching me to a commercial policy and that caused my rates to go up significantly. I shopped around and saved and saved a great deal of money with Grange. I'm not familiar with Alabama, but most States have a procedure to have a VIN assigned to a vehicle that doesn't have one. Good luck and hope you get her all restored someday. I love mine, they are fun to drive and tinker with.

Eagle 51

Have you talked to one of the companies that specialize in these vehicles (Hagerty, Continental Western,etc.)?
Here in Texas, we just take the make, model, and vin. Number to our agent, and we can get insurance. When I buy a vehicle from Gov. Liquidation, that is all my agent requires to give proof of insurance so we can get a tempory permit to drive the vehicle home.

HILLBILLY 06

I did get a quote from Hagerty, I will also try those other two... Thanks.
I did give our usual agent at Alfa the same info, but she was the one that said the Vin got kicked out, and wanted to know if I had an old tag receipt from the previous owner. I don't because he never tagged it, he just used it for trail riding in the woods near his home.
Anyway, I will get in touch with these others also, Thank you... Dave.

HILLBILLY 06

what number from the dataplate did you give them as the vin?

Jim
The number I gave them was as it is written, as follows: USMC335014
I was unsure if I should have included the prefix USMC, but that is how it looks on the data plate. Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated... Dave.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless they are an insurance agent no one on here can tell you how or where to get it. Use the search function and get ready to start reading. There are tons of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks