• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to ID a Generator

daverepair

I have been buying, fixing and selling Onan generators for a while but not in Military style. I stumbled across a unit for sale that the owner says came from Civil Defense. I recognize the engine as a Onan J series four Cylinder. It gets weird that there is no starter, hand crank only and the unit says Hol-Gar as MFG. The # he gave me off the machine are Hol-Gar GS107 AC then Onan J120-s?967F. It also has a Magneto instead of the normal distributor. I have included some photos, what is it

Attachments

daverepair

One More photo

One more photo. I am not near unit so I only have what the owner sent me and yes as I said in the first post the engine is an Onan J series

Attachments

steelypip

Hand crank (for a 12KW generator!), magneto ignition, and three-phase only output except for the convenience outlet. It's obviously meant to be left alone, unused for years somewhere without regular maintenance (but presumably with a big tank of preserved gasoline) and then be pressed into service when 'the worst' happens. And presumably, when 'the worst' happens, somebody will have time and muscle sufficient to get the thing running.

I'm guessing it was meant to run HVAC in a CD bomb shelter.

dependable

Saw a thread on Smokestack. It is/was a Civil Defense unit. Yea, hand starting it would be fun, you would have thought they would have provision for starter motor even if it had hand crank capability. but then I guess you would just have a lump of sulfited battery after a few years. I guess you could air start it with 3/4 or 1 in impact wrench.

Triple Jim

All good points, except I don't think you'd want to try an impact wrench. It would overtighten the blower nut because of the impacts, rather than turn the engine much.

dependable

I guess that is true if the crank engages the blower nut. It looks in picture there might be a 'crank plate' (don't know the correct term but engages crank rod with 2 wedges or cams that push out crank once engine catches. Have seen them on old tractors too). Tried to start a Onan cck with an impact wrench on blower nut once, as previous owner said he did all the time. Found out he was full of it, as it sheered right off.

steelypip

You positively would want to use an air motor without the impact function, and yes, I'm certain there's a crank plate with the usual helical teeth on it that the crank engages - can't have the crank spinning when the engine is running - it's both dangerous and unbalanced. That said, I bet it's a bear to crank with or without a magneto.

Dodge man

I wonder why they didn't design these to use a starter cartridge like those used in some aircraft engines? Good scene of them starting an engine with one in the original 1965 version of 'Flight of Phoenix' with Jimmy Stewart.

daverepair

We'll I got it. Now hat I have seen it in person I know it has 0.0 hrs on it. I have a thread over on SmokStak under the Onan section. "got it HolGar/Onan". Lots of pictures and comments. Not sure how to post pictures here. Very easy on SmokStak. Take a look.IMG_4161.jpgIMG_4162.jpgIMG_4163.jpgIMG_4164.jpgIMG_4165.jpgIMG_4166.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks