• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to identify a new purchase 5 ton

Polaris bryan

Would the m61 be a good start for a working rig? Going to mainly live its life off road and probably in low range, hauling trailers and equipment sometimes , well drilling equipment etc. Don't plan on having it on a road just yet.
Not familiar with these series trucks is why I'm asking , I have had a few 900 series 5 tons and a few m35's.
Or should I make a separate post for this question

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would the m61 be a good start for a working rig? Going to mainly live its life off road and probably in low range, hauling trailers and equipment sometimes , well drilling equipment etc. Don't plan on having it on a road just yet.
Not familiar with these series trucks is why I'm asking , I have had a few 900 series 5 tons and a few m35's.
Or should I make a separate post for this question
Sure. They are actually a better slow speed off road truck than a high speed highway hauler. Keep up with your preventative maintenance especially on the engine oil changes and transfer case oil.

Polaris bryan

Trying to find a suitable fuel pump for this truck. The tanks are shot after I got them cleaned they both look worse than Swiss cheese lol....
That being said I do have a old partially stripped down 5 ton crane truck (I bought for the crane) it has both tanks that are good , however the 5 ton used a pump on engine not in tank as my m61 is. So I can swap tanks they will fit within brackets but need a external type fuel pump... anyone know the rate,psi needed for the engine to operate properly?
There is many out there found a few nice ones rotary type with stainless pre screen and clear bowl that's serviceable ,faucet brand with 3/8 fittings. The flow rate and psi is from 7 to 10 - 10 to 15 - 12 to 20 psi. And from 100gph to 175gph.
Any advise about this swap?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How do you look up the history with a VIN on a 5 TON. I am curious to see the history on mine. Is there a site you can enter the number by?
A good place to start is by reading the first post on this 2014 by @CARNAC .

-- After that, take a look at the more current version, again first post of this thread:

-- One more piece of good information

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/vin-threads-condensed-into-excel-files.192967/#post-2263251

Other than that, a Freedom Of Information Act (request) may net you something. It may also give you nothing.

Guyfang

Staff member
You will not find much, if anything. The military is not in business of keeping such records. Why? What for? If you can find some bumper markings, on or under the paint, you can find out a little bit. And dont forget that there could be several layers of paint. When you find something, take pictures. Then try and go a tad farther down.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You will not find much, if anything. The military is not in business of keeping such records. Why? What for? If you can find some bumper markings, on or under the paint, you can find out a little bit. And dont forget that there could be several layers of paint. When you find something, take pictures. Then try and go a tad farther down.
actually, the reg is that DLA is required to retain data for military vehicles and weapons for 75 years. For foreign military sales, it’s forever until told differently. All other documents, it’s 10 years. Now wether or not the militarydid everyy correctly is a different mattER. That’s why I suggest going to TAACOM first. They should b ble to provide info f the 2408-9 was completed correct

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes and no. But agree, the first stop should be TACOM. Record keeping is skimpy at best. When equipment is transferred, often "New" forms are made up, or if data plates are lost its "Creative", to say the least. So what is there is to be taken with a grain of salt.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I must have been jet lagged when I wrote my response. Horrible typos. I did a thread on FOIA requests a few years ago. Suggest looking up that thread. Also you should review the VIN INFO thread to understand potential what you will receive. A TAACOM FOIA would be for a copy of the DA Form 2408-9. As stated above and on the VIN INFO thread, this info is inputted by some low ranking person and is only as good as the ‘inputter’; if it was inputted at all.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Second part is to ask for the DD Form 1348-6 from DLA. This would be the Turn in document. If you have a chalk or paint pen DTID (on a RMO label or you may have found it on some papers left in the tub o sometimes DRMO writes it in chalk or a paint pen on the vehicle) then that is that would help and expedite your request considerably.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So what is a DTID? That is the Disposal Turn In Document (number). It consists of the unit DODAAC (Department of Defense Activity Address Code) which is a unique code for each unit. If the first digit is a “W” it is Army. The DODAAC is the first six digits. This I followed by the Julian date of the turn in request (it maybe days, weeks, or months before the equipm is actually turned in). Google search what a Julian calendar is if you don’t know already. Last 4 are a unit unique number assigned to the turn in. My last unit our turn-ins started with a “T” and then we had a ‘block’ of numbers assigned to any turn in my unit made. In my case it was T600 to T699. more info than you need to know.

Main thing to help you out is the DODAAC as that gives you the unit. After that, it might take a friend letter to the unit or other options to get details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks