• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Tubular" key

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so I know if someone wants in they are going to get in, my only hope is to delay them until I can get them in my sights.
90% of us have the same key code if using the aftermarket door handle/locks and they are not very sophisticated as anyone with just about any tool/utility box key can simply run the key in and out while turning.
So I bought some tubular key lock to replace all the locks in both of my M998s (6 total)
Now the flippin floppers were too long so I had to cut them down and grind and file them into shape, but also the flippin floppers are not braded to the locks so one thing is I can set all the locks to turn the same direction on both sides of the truck, righty tighty lefty loosy!
The outside picture is unlocked
IMG_20220304_180349810.jpg
IMG_20220304_180425536.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's funny, cause I have a soft top, and there is a Brinks padlock and chain for the steering wheel. I've been content to keep nothing in it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Well I would rather not have to remove the radios and everything else and take them in with me everywhere I go.
I used to do that in the early 70s with a Craig floor mount 8 track tape deck and it sucked...

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not to burst or bust any doors with those cool tool box locks for doors... (i got them too) but BUT... A good kick to the X door with the right english and WOOP down comes the window. Reach right in and the boogie man owns your stuff. I get the lock keep the honest... well honest. Has kids' (not me) use to slap the newspaper box... BANG right on top and open says (not me) free paper for the funnies. That was before cell phones or BCP.

Left 32, right 12 and click, CAMO

Jsmith1529

Well I would rather not have to remove the radios and everything else and take them in with me everywhere I go.
I used to do that in the early 70s with a Craig floor mount 8 track tape deck and it sucked...
That's why I said I keep nothing in it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to burst or bust any doors with those cool tool box locks for doors... (i got them too) but BUT... A good kick to the X door with the right english and WOOP down comes the window. Reach right in and the boogie man owns your stuff. I get the lock keep the honest... well honest. Has kids' (not me) use to slap the newspaper box... BANG right on top and open says (not me) free paper for the funnies. That was before cell phones or BCP.

Fortunately most folks going around stealing stuff aren't that smart, they would still have to crawl through the window, makes for an easy target.
To be honest crime is pretty low in my area, and most thieves stay with what they know and the HMMWV is relatively rare and they usually hit stuff that has been made an easy opportunity, one does not have to outrun the bear just the other guy!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

But thanks for pointing out that weekness, that should be easy enough to remedy like possibly putting a small lock in the window channel for those times when a little extra is needed..

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so I know if someone wants in they are going to get in, my only hope is to delay them until I can get them in my sights.
90% of us have the same key code if using the aftermarket door handle/locks and they are not very sophisticated as anyone with just about any tool/utility box key can simply run the key in and out while turning.
So I bought some tubular key lock to replace all the locks in both of my M998s (6 total)
Now the flippin floppers were too long so I had to cut them down and grind and file them into shape, but also the flippin floppers are not braded to the locks so one thing is I can set all the locks to turn the same direction on both sides of the truck, righty tighty lefty loosy!
The outside picture is unlocked
View attachment 860690
View attachment 860691
This picture is a 3pc set of barrel key (lets say) master key to all barrel key locks you can buy on amazon or ebay for like 19 bucks and you can lock someone out of thier own lock / door by turning the center to halfway like my picture of the padlock they cant get thier key in the circle ! But you can do the same to normal key locks by breaking a toothpick off in the key cylinder . A old bail bondsman trick to catch them trapped between their vehicle and their house door lock them out of thier own stuffIMG_1990.JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually I have that kit and it does not fit these locks, I think everyone is just over thinking all of this, we are talking about a $40 upgrade for two trucks that took all of 30-45min.
BTW getting caught between any door and my vehicle is EXACTLY the best scenario for me, you may have forgotten Texas is a Constitutional Carry state, I can wear my 1911 on my hip at the restaurant or just about where ever I want, although I carry concealed 99% of the time, one of the reasons crime is so low around here, Texas also extends the "castle doctrine" to our vehicles, what that means is if someone tries to get in your vehicle and you feel threatened then blast away!
Thanks for the tip CAMO that was a 5 min fix for all 4 doors!!!
IMG_20220305_102801045.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks