• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbine oil???

Mehaffey

I have access to 110 gal of NEW turbine oil. It is "in the way" at my work and they are wanting to get rid of it. The drum doesnt say much more than the factory Turbine oil and "tessaric"(sp??). Would this be ok to run though? Being new oil I would think it would be ok to pour straight in right?

466Navastar

new turbine oil isnt cheap - if its in sealed drums why not try and sell it to a local compressor outfit & use the money to buy diesel....just a thought

the multi fuel should burn it ok and the turbine oil if new is gonna be CLEAN.

Mehaffey

Yeah I thought about that. But I really dont want them tracing it back to my company and my job being in jeopardy over $500. When i could just burn it...Save myself 110 gal x $3.80 Diesel = $418. And not have any worries, plus nt have to deal with another company and price and all the BS.

FYI. I am not stealing the oil. they are throwing it out. BUT if I told them I was going to use it, then they found out I sold it somehow....might put a strain on future oil from here.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Turbine oil by design isn't meant to burn. I tried a couple of quarts in a truck (not a deuce) to see if it would burn and lost a lot of power.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will burn just fine. I have tried turbine oil in my M35. Although mine was used oil. I'd sudjest mixing it with diesel and or gas untill you see how your truck wil react. Just use it as a additive to keep your fuel costs down. I mix other oils/fuels in mine just to keep costs down, not as a straight fuel.

poppop

I have used it in my duece with no problems and no prower reduction but I only put 5 gallons per tank with 10 gallons of used motor oil.

135gmc

Turbine oil is about 10W, and is normally a straight oil without any extras added to it. It should work OK in a multifuel if it is mixed with diesel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I burned about 40 gallons of it that I found in a genset repair trailer I bought. Worked great. Took me a while to open 150+ quart cans.

Mehaffey

I currently have about a half tank. prob a 60% diesel / 40% hydraulic oil mix. I may drop about 10- 15 gallons of the turbine oil in there and see how she does. If all goes well I will be hauling it home tomorrow night.

Luckily mine is in 55 gallon drums and not quart containers!

supermechanic

Turbine oils are formulated to very exacting specs,and designed to last for years with the equipment running 24/7.
Oils used come from selected stock, and have few modifiers or additives. Thus they are the closest thing you will get to a "pure' oil.
I worked at a plant years back where the equipment sat idle for 8 months each year, and part of the yearly maintenance program included replacement of 1200 gallons of Shell Turbo Oil T-32.
The waste oil was dumped directly into the 10,000 gal. fuel oil tank, mixed with the fuel oil, and burned in standard heating equipment.
As far as I know, this practice continues to this day.
I say get the oil and use it.

weisskr

I work at and have worked at many utility plants that use jet engines to generate power. I am usally around when the flushing of the turbines are happening and end up with a bunch of it. I cut the oil a bit depending on the ambient temp with gas or diesel and it burns great in my F-250.
It doesn't take much to thin it down generally. What color is it? The stuff that is orange burns the best and I dont have to cut it much!

Kevin

Good stuff!!

Mehaffey

I work at and have worked at many utility plants that use jet engines to generate power. I am usally around when the flushing of the turbines are happening and end up with a bunch of it. I cut the oil a bit depending on the ambient temp with gas or diesel and it burns great in my F-250.
It doesn't take much to thin it down generally. What color is it? The stuff that is orange burns the best and I dont have to cut it much!

Kevin

Good stuff!!
what year F250 do you have? I have a 2004 with the 6.0 I would be really hesitant as picky as that motor is about everything to put oil in there. But The deuce doesnt moind at all. Even though I seem to get better fuel mileage out of straight diesel. But diesel isnt free...

I am not sure what color the turbine oil is (drums are still sealed) . I am at work now (oil is on the other side of the plant) I will be in tomorrow night and plan on driving the deuce so I can just back up to the loading dock.

RANDYDIRT

The turbine oil I used is jet engine oil, and it has a bluish tint to it. Runs good in my deuce, I did notice a little blue smoke tho.

Dirt

gozapper

Isn't turbine oil the same as synthetic oil? The guy that started Amzoil was in the air force and got the idea to start the company using air craft turbine oil. That started at McConnel AFB in Wichita. So The story goes!

weisskr

what year F250 do you have? I have a 2004 with the 6.0 I would be really hesitant as picky as that motor is about everything to put oil in there. But The deuce doesnt moind at all. Even though I seem to get better fuel mileage out of straight diesel. But diesel isnt free...

I am not sure what color the turbine oil is (drums are still sealed) . I am at work now (oil is on the other side of the plant) I will be in tomorrow night and plan on driving the deuce so I can just back up to the loading dock.
I drive a 2000 F250 with 277K miles on 7.3. Have only had to replace the trans 265K for major work, besides replacing the rusted bed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks