• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo change for a M35A1

CorneLauwerijssen

Hi Guys,

I new to this forum and just bought my first M35 deuce and half.I already
did have a GMC CCKW, but thats really something different.

What I bought is a 1963 M35A1 Kaiser with a Continental LDS 427-2.

This is probaply a dumb question but is it possible to change the turbo for
a wisthler turbo?

Jones

Hello and welcome,
The turbo swap is a simple one, just remove and replace but you might also think of finding yourself a 465; the 427s were a problem engine, early vintage and weak in construction.

williamh

you need to add to your profile ... your location .....

i am also new but have seen several ass whippings for not including your location in your profile ..

CorneLauwerijssen

Thanks Jones, but which parts or parts are so weak on the LDS 427-2.

William I just added my location, I forgot it with
registering. I have nothing to hide, only my creditcardnumber :wink:

Corné

Jones

Hello Corne,
I've always heard that the lower end was not as beefy as the later 465s and lost cranks and journals was a recurring problem. Any additional power upgrades such as turning up the fuel will put additional pressure on the lower end. It also doesn't develop as much HP and is often swapped out for the 465s just as a matter of course. The turbo swap you're considering may or may not add to those pressures as the "whistler" turbos have a smaller exhaust housing and start to build boost sooner in the power curve and will make slightly more boost as they spool up.
Hope this helps