• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn Signal Issue

Chief 15

Hello everybody. Our M1078 A0 is having intermittent issues with turn signal lights not operating properly. Tried swapping out relays and trying to see if there may be a short, but so far, no luck. The right front signal seems to be the one that does what it pleases. Any tech savvy folks have a suggestion on what to check?

Ronmar

First off, what exactly is it doing? The signal system is complex mixing 12 and 24. Intervehicular signaling. But the fronts are probably the most straifhtforward part, so need to know exactly what is happening...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everybody. Our M1078 A0 is having intermittent issues with turn signal lights not operating properly. Tried swapping out relays and trying to see if there may be a short, but so far, no luck. The right front signal seems to be the one that does what it pleases. Any tech savvy folks have a suggestion on what to check?
Might also be worth your time to spend a day in the Captains Seat. Disconnect the batteries and clean the contacts & relays on the board behind the panel and use Antioxidant paste in/on those places. It will take a day to really clean it all up.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had similar issues with my turn signals and hazard warning flasher. Sometimes there worked, others not so much.
After completely going through the PDP, all battery connections, cleaned all the grounds I could find I finally replaced the turn signal relay which fixed the problem…but it looks like you said you replaced the turn signal relay under the PDP.
Tom.

Ronmar

Well if it is just the right front, what does the dash right turn arrow do? Does it flash reliably/consistently when commanded?

what happens when you turn on the hazard flasher switch?

I said the fronts were pretty straightforward. The signal goes from the flasher to the hazard switch Input. It branches off there to the steering column switch. The output of the hazard sw also goes to the steering column switch but to a different set of contacts. When you select the right turn signal, the TS switch sends the signal to TB1 pin 43. TB1 is used for DC distribution so many of the pin sets are tied together in groups. In this case pin 43 is tied to 41 and 42. One of those feeds the right dash turn arrow, the other feeds down to the right front turn signal lamp via and intermediary bumper connector pair P/J27.

If only the front right turn signal lamp in the bumper is acting wonky, the issue is probably in the wiring between TB1-42 and the lamp itself. That lamp assembly is also tied over to a common ground point(forget where it is bolted to on the structure) so that could also be the issue. Could be as simple as a bad bulb or socket inside the housing…

if both the bumper light and the arrow in the dash panel are acting weird, it could be the right TS switch contacts in the steering column sw.

What does it do with the hazard sw turned on and TS switch in the middle? The hazard signal runs thru different contacts in the TS switch.

some things to look at:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks