• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning radius change

Amxhunter

Just finishing up the last touches on the PS mod and it finally has all come together.

I have a large area to check it out and all seems well. What i did notice is that I would like to be able to turn a little sharper to the right. left is looking OK, and both left and right turn efforts go all the way to the stops.

What I was thinking about was doing some adjusting to the stop on the RH side.

Anyone done this or have some input ?

TIA

tm america

nopics......There are a few things you need to watch out for when adjusting the steering stops..first make sure the tire-wheel isnt gonna hit at full cut.second when you allow it it turn further it puts alot more stress on the axle and axle joint .you will feel binding at full cut and possibly break the axle.other than that ,also make sure it isnt able to over extend the steering box cuz it could mess up the steering gear if it were riding on the edge of a tooth and you hit something offroad.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................Anyone done this or have some input ?

TIA
Yes, with CON-VEL axle shafts (6 bearing balls), after very slight machining mods I managed to actually reduce turning radius by little over 4' (34' -> 30')
Both stop bolts were shortened about 1/2" to allow increasing the st. knuckle angle - straight ahead to stop-bolt contact - from stock = 28.5º to now 33º.

Obviously this all only makes sense after installing a hydro-assist steering box with a pitman arm at least 2" longer than stock and covering 90º travel.

Keep in mind that for vehicles having the tie-rod behind the axle it always takes a considerable additional effort to steer the wheels all the way to the right against the stop; even worse if caster was increased! (Let Mr. Ackermann explain this...)

Also I would not recommend any mods to the factory-set steering angle if you have the common U-joint axle shafts, for the reasons tm has already mentioned.

G.