• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turning up fuel and egt questions

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did your teacher tell you this or one of your "know it all" classmates? If this came from your teacher I'd seriously think about changing schools. If he doesn't know one of the basic principles of a diesel engine ( fuel + air = heat) he's not qualified to teach diesel mechanics.

It is true that dumping too much fuel in a non-turbo engine will mainly just make more smoke but when you add a turbo it will supply the extra air needed to push EGT over the edge.

Keith_J

Every hydrocarbon burns in two steps, the first is hydrogen oxidation, making water vapor and the second is the oxidation of carbon yielding carbon dioxide. That first oxidation is the hotter of the two. If the engine is blowing smoke, there CAN be excessive exhaust gas temperature.

Direct injected engines, of which the multifuel is, have hottest temperature in the piston. Naturally, the pistons are cooled with oil jets BUT looking at the spherical combustion chamber, there is a long distance from piston crown to the oil jet cooling site, meaning that bowl top and piston crown WILL get MUCH hotter. Guess which part of the piston is most critical with respect ring load? The crown. This is why most DI diesel pistons have steel top ring inserts. Still, getting the crown near the melting point means the aluminum turns into something like bubble gum.

Indirect injected engines are different, heat is concentrated in the head BUT pistons still can be overheated. You may get away with huge power in a diesel engine for a few seconds. Not in a 50 year old design. Modern pistons have far better cooling, many have oil jet passages for crown cooling. So don't think you can make this engine anywhere near the specific output of a 6BT Cummins.

7bdiver

I know this is an old thread, but there doesn't seem to be any others like it ( for the multifuel).

So, I bypassed the the fdc on my pump and yes, its like a whole new truck! Clearly, its turned all the way up now, or at least way up. Ive got this steep hill up to my place that I could not do in 4th, now I can. Thats all I ever wanted.

Now to the point. I kept my egt at 1000 at 2000rpm up the hill. Thought I was totally in the green, till I started reading cummins forums saying their post turbo temps were like 450 deg cooler than pre turbo. My pyrometer is post turbo. I started to feel queasy.

Jatonka's report said he was getting pretty close to matching temps pre and post under load like that. I can see that being true due to the relatively undersized turbo compared to whats on a hot rod dodge. It made me feel a little better.

Does anyone else have any experience with pre and post egt's with a multifuel?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks