• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Twin stick Np205 slipping out of gear

Joey7

Long story short I have a m1009. I recently put in a 14 bolt and np203/205 doubler and twin stocked the 205. I had some problems with the 203 slipping at first and managed to fix that. The 205 wasn't slipping at all through various test drives and coming back to it after a month, i fixed a few things and went for a test drive, after maybe 20 minutes my rear output slipped out of gear, limped it home and haven't been able to get either output to stay in gear since.

I have new poppet balls and springs, I tried shimming them to no avail. I'm fairly certain it isn't a linkage problem. I'm definitely thinking it could be the shift fork and collar gear but it would be weird for both outputs to be slipping when they weren't before hand. I don't know if a bearing or something could be causing it.

I can't get the rear in low to test it right now due to linkage, but the front will somewhat stay in low without slipping. I apologize if this has been discussed before but I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what twin stick shifter are you using? Any pics of the shifter or linkage?

when you say "slipping" you mean its just coming out of gear into neutral? A gear drive transfer case can't "slip" like an automatic transmission (obviously). Its either in gear, or its not. How do you limp it home if its not in gear?

With the transfer case under load, it should not be possible for the shift collar to disengage from the dog teeth (drivetrain torque will bind the collar against the teeth and hold it in place). With no load the only way for the collar to move is if the shift fork is pushing it, and the only way that should happen is if the shifter/linkage it putting force in it. With the truck rolling slowly and no load on the drivetrain, it shouldn't take much force to get it to slip into neutral. I can slip my 205 into and out of gear with 2 fingers while slowly rolling if I match RPMs with the throttle (sm465 trans, home made twin stick shifter), but it has never shifted itself into neutral while driving

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also am not understanding your term slipping, those cases either go or they don't, they are straight up Gear Drive .

Are you running NWF or ORD kit ?

I am questioning the Assembly of those cases, I'm also questioning the internals of that 14 bolt that you just installed, because you definitely have something weird going on .

Not to take away from this place, but these doubler conversations have been covered in depth on Pirate4x4 and Irate4x4, and I doubt there is a multitude of doubler guys in here, there's probably a handful of us that have built these and dealt with them (I'm guessing)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks