• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Twin Sticked NP205 Front Axle Pops out of Gear

biggestc69

[h=2]
Twin Sticked NP205 Front Axle Pops out of Gear[/h]
Like the title says, I twin sticked my NP205, scared of grinding the rails too much and allowing it to shift into Front High and Rear Low or vise versa I bought a set of rails from JKW Offroad. Quailty of the grinds looked good and while I was switching from the NP208 my truck came with we converted it over. Well it worked like a dream! I have lockers front and rear and turning around in a creek bed was a nightmare 12 point turn. With the twin stick just set the e-brake put it in front low and walk the front end around. I wasnt manuvering like a jeep through the woods but I could go places I never could before.
Used it all summer and I was always pleased with it. Anyway I'm getting off topic the other day we were down in the creek playing around and I lost all momentum. Looked over at my buddy and he's giving me the universal, no front tire turning signal. So I look down and sure enough the front stick is in neutral. Well I push it back in and go some more, same thing happens. No popping or grinding, this time I am feeling for the detent, nothing on the front rail, it just falls into place.
Get up under there hoping for linkage out of adjustment or it hitting the body, no such luck. Do you guys think that the spring and detent are shot on the front rail? The other rail works like a charm and this came out of a M1031 so I would imagine that he miles were fairley low so I wouldnt think that the shift fork would be worn that much already. But I'm no expert either. Once it warms up I will drain it and fish around up there with a magnet, the problem is that I have a PTO on the side of it so I can't pop the inspection cover and see whats happening. The way I understand it is that the PTO teeth are setup like the teeth on a rearend and need to have the proper engagement? Or is that just hearsay? If anybody has any idea's or has had a similar problem I'm all ears.
Thanks for your time guys. Accidently posted this in the regular CUCV section and I hope I didnt offend too many people by doing so. Had no idea that there was a CUCV modification section.

deathrowdave

sounds to like the spring have up the chase on the front detent ball !!!! I am betting a new spring and ball and U will good to go again !!!

biggestc69

Thanks for the response deathrowdave! I'm hoping its as easy as that. The spring and ball cant get past the shift rail can they? I have a hard time remembering. If so I'm gonna have a heck of a time trying to fish them out of the transfer case!

biggestc69

I cant get a good look at an exploded view of the NP205. Is it a threaded cap that holds the spring and detent ball in or does it just press in? Been awhile since I did it and forgot how it went together. Probably a dumb question.

biggestc69

With that cap screwed in how could the spring and detent ball move out of place? I mean I'm sure anything is possible but it looks like it would be pretty hard for that to happen? Maybe a weak spring allowed the detent ball to move? I dunno I'm reaching now.

sschaefer3

The cap breaks in to 2 pieces where the threads start. I am guessing your plug broke into 2 pieces. Go under the truck and put your hand up there, if there is no hex and only a hole, it's gone, you would also get gear oil seepage, but not a lot.

deathrowdave

Not a problem !! I must need help clearing my PM folder !!! I open it and it has a tab "EMPTY FOLDER" I hit that and it asks YES I hit that and no change !!! Anyway it must be a KY. thing "BRAINS" !!! How can I help you ?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a problem !! I must need help clearing my PM folder !!! I open it and it has a tab "EMPTY FOLDER" I hit that and it asks YES I hit that and no change !!! Anyway it must be a KY. thing "BRAINS" !!! How can I help you ?
You have to check the box on pm's you want to delete , then make sure delete is marked when the chioces at the bottom pop up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks