• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tx Registration

charlesmann

if this is not the correct location, please let me know where to post my question.
for those whom have registered fmv in texas, especially 5 tons, what type of registration did you do with and did you have to get a DOT inspection before registering it? there are 3 choices, fmv, which is cheap, but has the greatest restriction on what it can be used for, farm tags, but there is a 150 mile radius the vehicle can be operated in, and my house to farm is 151 miles. someone brought up the scenario of getting into an accident, and insurance not covering bc i went outside the radius. valid scenario, and 1 i don't want to deal with. iv taken my farm trailers from tx to la, and from tx, to oregon with no issues, but thats not to say the perviously stated scenario couldn't and wouldn't happen. and then there is normal tags, which for a 36,000 lb truck, gets really expensive, around $35 per yr. with farm and normal tags, it requires an inspection, and from what the big truck repair shops near my house, 1 that actually works on fmv say, it requires a dot inspection. which then opens a different set of worms.

can someone advise please?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operation of the truck in association with a business: Texas Truck tag with TXDMV and USDOT registration and DOT inspections.
Operation of the truck in association with a farm: Texas Farm Truck tag, under 48,000 lbs no TXDMV or USDOT registration
Operation of the truck as hobby: Texas FMV tag with TXDMV and USDOT registration and NO DOT inspection.

charlesmann

op
Operation of the truck in association with a business: Texas Truck tag with TXDMV and USDOT registration and DOT inspections.
Operation of the truck in association with a farm: Texas Farm Truck tag, under 48,000 lbs no TXDMV or USDOT registration
Operation of the truck as hobby: Texas FMV tag with TXDMV and USDOT registration and NO DOT inspection.
operation of the truck to go get groceries, or whatever my wife would use her car for, even to commute to work, but not for business?

when i talked to the lady at motor veh registration, when i did the title xfr, i was told no insp for fmv and no tags issued, just a card i had to keep displayed in the front windscreen, but said nothing about a usdot registration. but fmv is very restrictive/specific on usage. for farm, vehicle insp required and a tx farm tag registration. so i inquired at the local inspection place and bc of its weight and air brakes, it must be a dot insp.

can you provide a link as to where you found the usdot reg requirements? iv looked over the tx motor vehicle reg website and nothing said anything about a usdot reg.
iv also seen, and bc they didn't have them, doesn't mean they were correct, other 5 tons and duces on the road and they didn't have tx or usdot numbers affixed to their trucks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here: TxDMV Number | TxDMV.gov

I dug into this real deep back in the day because I really didn't want to go through the hassle of operating authority. Everyone I asked at DPS and TXDMV confirmed that it didn't matter what type of plate I had (including FMV), over 26K you had to have TXDMV and USDOT. Can't say I ever painted the numbers on my cab though . . .

Sounds like FMV is fine for your use: club events, parades, maintenance, and "the occasional Sunday drive".

charlesmann

I'm betting hooking my civi goose neck and recovering trees for cooking and other wood related whatnots probably wouldn't be covered under the fmv side. i got it for hobby/farm use, but since my land in east tx is 1 mile past the 150 radius, that legally precludes me from going there. but iv dragged my farm tag trailer all over east tx and have yet to be hassled, even being stopped by dps wt./measure and said where i was going, i wasn't hassled. idk, i might try my luck with farm tags, and hope only wow/nice idea, nice fabricating factor kicks in and i don't get placed "out of service" and have to lowboy it back hm

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh nobody cares if you go 1 mile past the farm tag radius. DPS guys and gals not THAT bad. Yeah don't abuse the FMV privilege by hauling trees on a gooseneck.

charlesmann

Yea, i wouldnt want to be the guy that helps ruin it for the rest of the folks.
if i could find a civilian 15-20 ton crane truck with 6x6 abilities, id get rid of both my 936s. But dang that 936 cut loading time from 4 hrs, down to 20 min after getting the outriggers in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks