• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog Tractors

1ton

Does any one have any experience using a Unimog as a tractor? You know, pto's, 3pts and all? I have seen a lot of sites about using unimogs in their intended occupation, but i keep wondering how hard it is to use pull type equipment. I'm wondering about most is the rear view, since you can't look straight down at the equipment, like you can with a normal tractor.

Jones

Most I've seen are on 406s with a real short wheelbase. They have a bed that's almost as long as it is wide, no sideboards, and with a wide truncated triangle insert in the back running forward in the bed floor. The insert comes out when running something like a backhoe attachment but also makes for better vision with impliments like plows and seeders.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the Diesel Unimogs can be ordered set up as tractors. Especially desirable is the 406 model. Available options included multiple hydraulic circuits front, rear, and midframe, 540/1000 rpm PTO's with standard 6 spline on the front and rear, high speed PTOs for driving high capacity hydraulics, dump beds (3 way dump), 3 point hitches making any 3 point implements usable, front loaders, back hoes, backfill blades, ditch diggers, potato and beet diggers, etc. You get the idea! Case imported 406 models in the 70's and early 80's and set them up for use with Case implements. They called it the Case MB4/94. Great trucks!

jeli

The SEE has lock bars that rotate down with the backhoe and lock the rear suspension solid. If the 406's have those it would make a great multipurpose tractor. I never had a problem with hydraulic flow at the rear of these. The loader is worthless compared to any other loader or skid steer but it would be a monster with a hyd drive snowblower up front. Plowing snow isn't the easiest with a stick but it wasn't too bad and fairly comfortable. If you had a flat bed or dropped/removed a tailgate you'd have good rear visibility.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use an MB4/94 almost daily. It's the farm tractor used for mowing, disking, harrowing, logging, hauling wood and gravel, maintaining my driveway, and excavating. With the 3-point hitch it can use any generic implement. With the backhoe and front loader in place it's handy for my non-critical digging jobs. As Jeli said, a commercial backhoe would probably be much better for that specific use, but then you can't drive the backhoe to the grocery store or take it to Moab for offroading! It's always fun to park the 'mog in front of the Home Depot or drive through McDonalds.

firefighterccfd711

Near where i live there is a contractor who has a snow plowing contract who has a mog. on the unit there is if i recall right a 200-300 hp mercadise engin mounted in the bed and a a tranny to fit. the drive shaft is chain driven under the frame and he has an enormous blower on the front. the machine is one of a kind over here and he got it for a steal just as is. he is cheep so i bet no more than about 4-8 grand for the machine his price. the truck takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

K5NUTT

The one i need to find is still in use by the military today and my reserve unit has plenty of them. They are called the HMMH....but we refer to them as a C truck as i was in a combat engineer unit (244th CEB Co. A Det 1) out of fort carson. I see the 10 manual is here under 5-2420-244-10.

If any body has any pics of them please post them or email them to me personaly if you would!!!

DW

kroctec

Here, in the UK, Unimogs are extensively used as agricultural contractors machines and fulfill mostall of the roles of a tractor. With regard your question about rear implement view, very simple to fit a rear view camera with monitor on the dash. I have 2 cameras on my Mog and also have a camera on one of my trailers (I would recommend black and white rather than color because a) the image is sharper b) response to changing light levels is better c) night and low light performance is superior to color cameras

best regards from David Gudmunsen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks