• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unleaded gas in Multifuel?

cbvet

Got our 1970 Multifuel (non turbo) deuce up-&-runnng for the Harvest Fest parade. Pulled a lowboy trailer with a 1942 Cletrac Bomber Tug.
High school band stayed about 1/4 mile behind us due to our smoke!
Truck starts & runs so well I hate to make any serious modifications.
Would it be safe to run unleaded gasoline, & if so would that reduce the smoke?
Eric Wendt

hummin2london

I just put 20 gals of unleaded in mine because it was all I could get. Ran a little off power. Added diesel as soon as I could. You could feel the engine sigh in relief when it started burning oil again. Take a look at Idaho surplus truck site (dont remember the exact url but cant be hard to find) because he has the army ps magazine article on "Multifuel Operator". Very funny and informative. Explains all the filters, fuels, etc. THe cute little gal in the santa mini skirt would just never fly in today's PC military...

Cheers

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean Connie Rodd, originally created by Will Eisner. I think Connie in this image was drawn by Murphy Anderson. (I did some cutting and pasting, she doesn't belong on that page...)

The best way to eliminate the smoke from the multifuel is to install a turbo. Not done overnight, but anyhow...

Bjorn

Attachments

hummin2london

Thats my girl! I started my military career as an airborne grunt so I read alot of these things back in the day. Then I got smart and moved over to the Navy. Long story, another day. Too bad Connie is not PC anymore :-(

Cheers!

hummin2london

Oh, forgot to say that if its REALLLLLYYYY smoking bad you oughta check your fuel filters and air cleaner element.
been there, done that, got a lot of t-shirts!

Jones

The PS edition of the Multifuel Operator is in the Tech Library for those of you who want a copy.
When we had the multifuelers way back when and were running them on gasoline for an emergency "get us the h*ll outa here" situation; we were told to try and add 30w motor oil so that the injection pump had a source of lubrication. The motor-pool sergeants always viewed the multifuel capability as a last resort in case of no diesel being available, not as an everyday operational option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks