• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unusual truck- Dust control sprayer

byrdman1312

Several years ago I had a friend that was in the logging business. He had one truck that I had never seen before, or since. It was at least a 5 ton, 6x6, with a detachable bed. The only data plate I can remember was one that indicated it was a "dust control unit". I could not remember any model number. My friend said that it used to have a tank on the back, it was removed and replaced with a fifth wheel hitch. He used as a "pull out " truck, pulling loaded log trailers out to the hard road where a road tractor can hook to them.
The detachable bed I mentioned before was actually one half of the truck. You unhook the bed and the drive shaft running to the rear axles. Right behind the cab was a pair of wheels that could be lowered so that the front half could be driven without the rear half. The wheels were not powered, they supported weight only. Has anyone ever heard of such a truck or something like it? I'd like to see a picture of one in good shape. After years of work in the woods his was pretty ragged out. Thanks in advance!

byrdman1312

Yes indeed, you're right! BUT, usually those are civilian commercial trucks. Most of those I've seen have the same chassis as a off road dump truck. This truck was a military vehicle, with all the stuff a military vehicle would have, blackout markers, 24 volt with slave receptacles, pindle hitch, and of course, OD paint. I don't know if this one was a prototype or what. I'm going to try to track it down. It's probably in a sawmill junkyard somewhere. Best I can remember the owner said it was 1970's vintage. I've wondered if this truck was something built special for the engineers, for the use you just mentioned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks