• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Up graded the crane

6x6guy

During the virus slow down
I decided to upgrade the existing crane on my 5 ton M923a2 with 3500 lb auto crane capacity to a heavier model.
Installed a ITM model 2015 crane - picked it up a auction on a government site.
Basically rebuilt all the hydraulic cylinders and had to replace the pins that were rusted in place with new ones.
It didn't come with a handheld remote - it was wired for it but the remote for that unit was around $1,200 from the manufacturer.
So at this point after doing some research decided on installing a wireless UHF remote with 100 ft range.
Cost of the wireless was less than 1/4 of the cost of the new wired remote from IMT.

When I talked to the representative and he stated that as far as he had know nobody had done such a upgrade with the UHF unit.

After spending a while rewiring the electric over hydraulic system it was also determined that a duel 12 volt battery alternator was also will needed - well back to the drawing board.
I located a duel 24/12 volt
200 amp alternator that would work in this particular application.
After another rewire and installation of a couple of relays to prevent any electrical problems and installing welding cables for the power to the crane.
I'm all for making my life easier especially during moving equipment around.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
During the virus slow down
I decided to upgrade the existing crane on my 5 ton M923a2 with 3500 lb auto crane capacity to a heavier model.
Installed a ITM model 2015 crane - picked it up a auction on a government site.
Basically rebuilt all the hydraulic cylinders and had to replace the pins that were rusted in place with new ones.
It didn't come with a handheld remote - it was wired for it but the remote for that unit was around $1,200 from the manufacturer.
So at this point after doing some research decided on installing a wireless UHF remote with 100 ft range.
Cost of the wireless was less than 1/4 of the cost of the new wired remote from IMT.

When I talked to the representative and he stated that as far as he had know nobody had done such a upgrade with the UHF unit.

After spending a while rewiring the electric over hydraulic system it was also determined that a duel 12 volt battery alternator was also will needed - well back to the drawing board.
I located a duel 24/12 volt
200 amp alternator that would work in this particular application.
After another rewire and installation of a couple of relays to prevent any electrical problems and installing welding cables for the power to the crane.
I'm all for making my life easier especially during moving equipment around.
Looks like you have plenty of "reach" with that boom too! Maybe not for super heavy lifting, but getting up and away from things sure is a big plus. I really like the remote idea. Being able to walk over and hook up to whatever you are lifting has to be incredibly nice. My M936 is nice, but up and down and up again gets tiring after several lifts...

6x6guy

Looks like you have plenty of "reach" with that boom too! Maybe not for super heavy lifting, but getting up and away from things sure is a big plus. I really like the remote idea. Being able to walk over and hook up to whatever you are lifting has to be incredibly nice. My M936 is nice, but up and down and up again gets tiring after several lifts...
Was like that with the other
crane - constantly going back and forth to ensure a good lock on the load.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely outstanding! I don’t know if you remember me, but I came and looked at a Mule you had for sale.....but ended up selling my winch to you. I was in process on a crane rebuild....finished a couple years ago.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Absolutely outstanding! I don’t know if you remember me, but I came and looked at a Mule you had for sale.....but ended up selling my winch to you. I was in process on a crane rebuild....finished a couple years ago.
Wow! That is a nice looking machine.
Amazing what a little paint will do when all the nuts and bolts and hoses are "adjusted" to make her look and work like new again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks