• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Update on my 002a

sandfantom

Finally got the throttle cable installed and had to do a little governor adjustment to get it to run at the the 1800 rpm, seems all is well there. As I wrote in my previous post, I have never heard one of the engines run before, but it seems pretty noisy. I did adjust the valves and that quieted it down a bit but there sure seems to be a knock that doesn't sound normal. I removed the front flywheel cover to check out my battery charging system (more later) and turned the engine over by hand to see if I could hear anything, nothing seems loose.

Maybe the knock is just diesel knock but is sure is loud. The oil pressure is about 40 - 50 lbs. so that is a good sign. There may be a timing issue, I guess I need to look into that next. The engine seems to vibrate more than normal also, don't know.

As far as the battery charging system goes.......one of the wires was broken off of the fuse. Got a new one installed. Checked the stator and it looks like I have a problem there. 0.0 ohms, so I don't know if I have a bad VR or not yet. I do need to do a little more trouble shooting on this, but I was wondering if anyone here has tried to rewind their broken stator. I wouldn't think it would be that hard.

Checked the power on the main generator and it puts out 120 volts on both legs and 240 volts on the 220 side, so I think that part is working. Haven't put any type of load on it yet.

Any advice on the engine noises would be great.

thanks

sandfantom

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knocking to some extent is normal. It gets quieter the further you walk away.

Keith_J

0.0 Ohms on the stator? At a meter scale of 10,000, that is normal. At a scale of 200, there might be a short.

These are single RPM engines and unlike most other diesels, timing is fixed. So there is more knock as the engine spools up. Also, load on the generator lowers the knock as the increased injection time makes for more gradual pressure rise.

steelypip

Yes, the diesel knock is quite loud - this is probably normal (you could always record a sound sample). Air cooled diesels have a lot of knock both because the fins 'ring' with the sound and because there isn't a water jacket around the combustion chamber to quiet things.

Chances are that it's normal. You'll know for sure once you do a load test - if something is way off with the timing it likely won't exceed rated power. At Kansas altitudes you should have at least another 1500 watts in the jar at rated output.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks