• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade M880 to Big Block

77 M880 W200

I'm considering an upgrade to a big block (440) and wanted to ask what changes, bell housing, torque converter, etc. would have to be done to my transmission/transfer case?

77 M880 W200

Bob, thanks for the reply. I've poked around the internet and have not found conclusive evidence to support a direct swap from small to big block. I talked to a reputable trans shop owner near me and his recommendation is to ensure I get the flexplate, flywheel and torque converter (for balance purposes) THEN check the web to verify his thoughts.

I did see one site that showed a different bolt spacing between the big & small block bell housings - but haven't found other sites to confirm. Do you or anyone else have a site that you can share with me?

gerrykan

The bellhousing to engine block bolt pattern is different between big and small block Dodges, as Bob pointed out.

Somewhere in the early 1970's big blocks went from internal balance to external balance, requiring the correct flywheel or torque convertor. I cannot remember the exact year right now.

A forged crankshaft motor(internal balance) will have a thin harmonic balancer on the front, and a cast crank motor(external balance) will have thick balancer.

dtracy22

You would need a big block transmission. Bell housings are not removable. Also need truck oil pan and big block truck engine mounts and exhaust manifolds. Check out this site for conversion parts http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEtruckKit.asp
Cast crank 400's and 440's do use an external balance flywheel or torque converter, so keep that in mind.

A 360 swap is much easier.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As a 20+ year Mopar guy, ex-Mopar Nationals judge, I can unequivocally tell you small black and big block engines take their own transmissions. As the above posters stated, bellhousing pattern is totally different between small block and big block and since Mopar automatics have the bellhousing cast into the case, you will need a big block case to go behind a big block.

As the others stated, the big block manifolds for truck are center dump versus rear dump for passenger car, so you'll need them or headers. The oil pan is big block specific as well.

I have a brand new Muscle Motors 440 bracket killer engine kit if you're interested. Not cheap, but it's all the best stuff you can buy: New MP forged internal balance crank, HP rods, new Ross .030+ pistons, etc.

77 M880 W200

Bob / GerryKan / Dtracey22 / Clinto,

I really appreciate your replies and insight, to give an update of where I am. I located a 77 W300 with a 440 & Auto trans that will arrive early next week. Thankfully it will have all of the accessories so I don't have to them down! Will be pulling my SB motor & trans this weekend - then do a swapout of the trans internals ( the new trans needs rebuilt ) since my trans is in really good condition. Thanks again.

77 M880 W200

UPDATE: Motor & Trans arrived and in better condition than expected. Trans removed and dissassembled for rebuild. Radiator sent to shop for hot tank dip and flow-check-not good. Ordered HD radiator from O'Reilly (have account and they price match!).

FYI - Flowtech Ceramic headers 3500FLT are not the correct headers for a big block, like some parts retailers show in their system. The correct Flowtech Ceramic headers are part number 3504FLT. I called the manufacturer (Holley) and they verified the fit.

rebelreck

I have a 440 and a 383 Magnum truck. They are a world of difference from a small block truck. The Green Beast runs a 383 Magnum out of a 68 Road Runner, thats been built up some. It will smoke all 4 tires!!!roflBut that is hard on the drive line.

77 M880 W200

UPDATE: The 440 is running smooth as silk, the rebuilt trans still needs some slight adjustment on the throttle linkage to dial-in the shift patterns. Right now it (trans) is at specs - will make adjustments until I'm happy.

Decided to put ceramic coated headers - when I fired it up, sounded like a monster!

dtracy22

DO NOT use the linkage to adjust shift timing. At WOT the lever on trans needs to be at all the way back. Set it there and leave it. Its for line pressure and not shift points. Shift points are controlled by the governor springs on tailshaft.

77 M880 W200

Dtracy, thanks for the tech tip! So far the shift patterns are acceptable, a little road time has helped. The 4:10 gears don't like highway speed - that big block screams at those speeds, have decided to take the scenic routes...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks