• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upper Kingpin Bearing/Bushing

MatthewH

So after hoping to get by with just bolting the disc brakes on and repacking the wheel bearings, I found the pass side needed new kingpins, as the tire had a goofy wear pattern to it, and the lower kingpin is loose.

After reading the TM, it calls out for a brass/bronze upper cone, and a lower bearing, however, I remember reading somehwere about subsituting a bearing for the bronze cone.

I have searched, but found only mention of this, no part numbers for the bearing or race. Would it be the same as the lower bearing setup?

Thanks

Matt

WhirlingSun

Sweet. Thanks. I just ordered the chevy C30 master.

If I may ask, what machine work has to be done? Can I do it on my 9" lathe?

I see they want you to send them your hub to do the work for an additional cost (plus shipping both ways). Is it something as simple as turning down a diameter?

Also, what if I want locking hubs? Should I purchase those before I do the disk brake kit, or is this a different part altogether?

Sorry, I realized I hijacked your thread... My apologies. I'm a little over-excited about the disk brake idea.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet. Thanks. I just ordered the chevy C30 master.

I see they want you to send them your hub to do the work for an additional cost (plus shipping both ways). Is it something as simple as turning down a diameter?

Also, what if I want locking hubs? Should I purchase those before I do the disk brake kit, or is this a different part altogether?

Sorry, I realized I hijacked your thread... My apologies. I'm a little over-excited about the disk brake idea.
If you look at the picture, where the rotor bolts to the hub, a special made flange is welded to a turned down hub. Without that flange you won't be able to do it. The lockouts are the same as it uses the same hub (just modified).

MatthewH

Thanks Tuko, thats what I was looking for.

I guess its up to you. After some thought, I decided to send them in and have Joe machine them, since he has the jigs and has done them before. For $120 an axle plus shipping, I can't do the job my self and be ahead.

MatthewH

So who has done this swap? Everythng seems straight forward, really just looking for a spec on setting the preload of the knuckle with 2 bearings, instead of the bushing/brearing setup that was factory.

Everything I have found says "wing it, you'll know when its right".

IIRC, my '71 CJ5 uses kingpin bushing top and bottom, and it uses 15-17 lbs of pull when preloaded correctly. May have to try that and see how it feels.

Thanks in advance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks