• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upper Knuckle Bearings...Why?

booze_rooster

Could anybody explain to me why the design choice was made to use a solid bronze cone instead of a second tapered roller bearing in the steering knuckles on these trucks?

During the teardown of my front axle I cleaned up all bearings, races and shims before measuring them, recording part numbers and placing them in sandwich bags which are organized alphabetically-by-height.

I was perplexed by the upper bearings where it seems a second tapered bearing would have been a solid choice.

I also found a part number discrepancy between passenger and driver sides.

The passenger side had a different race on top from the cone bearing's race at the bottom. The driver side had the same bearing race top and bottom. Clearly I'm going to be replacing everything with correct and new parts-

But out of sheer curiosity- what's with the goofy bronze bearing? Anybody ever tried to slap a second roller bearing in it's place?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks