• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF gun trucks?

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the US Air Force have gun trucks in Vietnam? I understand they wouldn’t be in convoy use but for airfield defense maybe?

The reason I ask is for my next project I would really like to restore an M37 in strata blue, but if I could make one as a gun truck, that would be sexy!!!!

By the way I have reserved a copy of James Lyles gun truck books from David Doyle.
Thanks
Mike

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have conversed on the topic of colour with a friend who was a USAF truck driver in Vietnam, he said all their M35s and other tactical type vehicles were, as he phrased it, "the normal green, like the Army ones".

He also said they ran a lot of their own supply convoys from the docks in Saigon out to their airfields, and had guns on a few of their trucks, along with V100s for security. He specifically mentioned M715s with a .50 on a pedestal in the bed. Next time I see him, I'll ask about M37s.

He was there in 1970.

Cheers

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have conversed on the topic of colour with a friend who was a USAF truck driver in Vietnam, he said all their M35s and other tactical type vehicles were, as he phrased it, "the normal green, like the Army ones".

He also said they ran a lot of their own supply convoys from the docks in Saigon out to their airfields, and had guns on a few of their trucks, along with V100s for security. He specifically mentioned M715s with a .50 on a pedestal in the bed. Next time I see him, I'll ask about M37s.

He was there in 1970.

Cheers
That’s good to know. I am really curious to hear about the M37. Thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks