• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Use jumper wire to temporarily advance timing on DB2 HPCA?

Matt65

When you say temporarily, how long-Minutes, hours?

Out of curiosity, why are you after a temporary advance? You can also advance by rotating the DB2 at its 3 mounting bolts.

NCBloodhound

Maybe an hour or so while I make a quick trip. I know I can advance the timing by rotating the DB2, but I thought using the jumper would work for now until I get a new IP. I'm pretty sure mine is shot, but I need to limp my truck to a friends.

Chief_919

You can do it, however you need to also have the fast idle solenoid engaged. If you don't the mechanism that advances the timing will also create a dead spot the first few degrees of throttle application, then it kicks in. The fast idle solenoid takes up that slack.

They are both on the same circuit, so just make sure you hook both to 12v at once.

If you have a manual glow plug switch that is you you get the cold start advance back.

NCBloodhound

You can do it, however you need to also have the fast idle solenoid engaged. If you don't the mechanism that advances the timing will also create a dead spot the first few degrees of throttle application, then it kicks in. The fast idle solenoid takes up that slack.

They are both on the same circuit, so just make sure you hook both to 12v at once.

If you have a manual glow plug switch that is you you get the cold start advance back.
Makes sense. I will give that a shot. Is there any down side to doing it longer term? Say a week of daily driving?

Matt65

For driving any distance Im curious if it would have a negative impact on a warm engine: would EGTs get too high, would it stress the rotating assembly etc? Personally I would only do this as a very last resort, or not at all. You wouldn't want to kill the engine in addition to the already failing pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks