• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using an Eaton Advantage Solo clutch/pressure plate behind an LDS-465

bugwhacker

I am powering my M35 with an LDS-465 motor bolted to an Eaton Fuller RTOO-9513 transmission. I am wanting to use an Eaton Advantage Solo self adjusting clutch but am unsure if it will bolt up to the 5-ton flywheel. The clutch is shown as coming in 14 inch and 15.5 inch size. Can anyone tell me what the bore is on the pressure plate for the 5 ton and the bolt circle for the pressure plate? I dont want to use the pressure plate and clutch it came with because I am using a hydraulic clutch and wont be able to feel when my clutch is getting out of adjustment.

This is the clutch I want to use - Advantage Series Clutches

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much.

I'm guessing the LDS engine came out of a 5-ton and he is switching some things......

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................. I am wanting to use an Eaton Advantage Solo self adjusting clutch but am unsure if it will bolt up to the 5-ton flywheel. The clutch is shown as coming in 14 inch and 15.5 inch size. Can anyone tell me what the bore is on the pressure plate for the 5 ton and the bolt circle for the pressure plate? ......
If you mean the LDS 5ton flywheel dimensions?? .... find them in my drawing, below.....

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Problem he will run into is the 5ton bellhousing and the deuce bell are not the same. So he will be using the deuce flywheel.

(Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.)

bugwhacker

I plan on using the 5ton bellhousing since it is a true SAE#2, my clutch box for my RTOO-9513 is a hydraulic unit that is SAE#2 also so they should bolt together.

Thanks for the drawing gringletaube, that is exactly what I was looking for.

bugwhacker

Well it appears that I cannot have a self adjusting Eaton Solo clutch using the stock flywheel for the 5 ton. It is a "Pot" style of flywheel and this clutch is only available in 14" for the "Flat" style of flywheel.

So I started looking for a new "Flat" style of flywheel that will bolt right into place. It appears that the Cummins NT855 and the Cummins N14 both share the same crank bolt pattern as the multifuels, I found a "Flat" flywheel for those engines that I think will work and it has a 10" bore opening so I can get a nice dampered clutch in there. It has a 17 inch ringear with 103 teeth so I will either have to figure out a starter for it or change the ring gear.

My question is if either one of these engines use a special balance on their flywheels or if they are all "Zero" balance?

Cummins NT855, N14 Flywheel 3071535
Flat Design with 10" Opening
6 Mounting Bolt Holes & 2 Threaded Holes
Use a 15" Clutch With 10 Springs (10" Opening)
306 Thrust Bearing
17" Ring Gear With 103 Teeth​

Cross Reference Numbers: 3609903, 3609890​

or for one with a 8" opening -

Cummins NT855, N14 Flywheel 3021660
Flat Design with 8" Opening
6 Mounting Bolt Holes & Threaded Holes
Use a 15" Clutch With 8 Springs (8" Opening)
306 Thrust Bearing

Casting Number: 129594​

I have found a ring gear AK-3902127 that is 17" and 138 tooth so maybe I can use that on this flywheel and not have to look for a differant starter.​

Last edited:

bugwhacker

Couldn't you just machine off the "lip" and have it surface ground after?

I think changing the starter or ring gear would be the way to go. It looks like the N14, NT855, and the LDS-465 are all internally balanced with a zero balanced flywheel - thats why the holes are evenly spaced on the crankshaft with none offset to index the flywheel.

Anyone have a flywheel they want to send me?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... It looks like the N14, NT855, and the LDS-465 are all internally balanced with a zero balanced flywheel - thats why the holes are evenly spaced on the crankshaft with none offset to index the flywheel.
Can't speak for the those Cummins, but yes, the Multis are... and they all have a neutral balanced FW. Even so, there is one bolt offset; not much, just 2mm or so.

Machining flat- not the LDS, but better the LDT FW - could be an option but it will loose about 22 lbs of its mass, just where it counts the most...

G.

hemichallenger

I think changing the starter or ring gear would be the way to go. It looks like the N14, NT855, and the LDS-465 are all internally balanced with a zero balanced flywheel - thats why the holes are evenly spaced on the crankshaft with none offset to index the flywheel.

Anyone have a flywheel they want to send me?
I have dish flywheels for a cummins that takes a double disc. What flywheel are you lookind for. I would like to see a double overdrive tranny in a deuce. I dont think it will pull it in the big hole but you never know.

bugwhacker

I have dish flywheels for a cummins that takes a double disc. What flywheel are you lookind for. I would like to see a double overdrive tranny in a deuce. I dont think it will pull it in the big hole but you never know.
This is the flywheel I have decided on. It is a flat disc not a dish or pot style.

Cummins NT855, N14 Flywheel 3071535
Flat Design with 10" Opening
6 Mounting Bolt Holes & 2 Threaded Holes
Use a 15" Clutch With 10 Springs (10" Opening)
306 Thrust Bearing

Cross Reference Numbers: 3609903, 3609890​

Thanks for offering the other one though. I would like to find one to check and see if I am on the right track even if it was a trashed unit. I have found them online for $300 then I will need to spend another $100 for the correct ring gear but it would be nice to test fit one before spending the money.

bugwhacker

The Cummins flywheel is so close but the drive flange mating area is too large and the bolt circle is wrong. I can redrill the bolt circle and get past that issue but will need to machine the drive flange mating area flat then cut a new pocket for the flange to index into.

When talking with AKMI who makes that aftermarket flywheel they told me they might be able to get me a casting blank for the flywheel so I can see if One like I need can be cut from it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious: have you compared the mass (weight) of that Cummins FW, vs. an LDT, modded? I can calculate what the LDT's would be, with the center widened to 10" and machined flat.
What if the Cummins's was even lighter?

G.

bugwhacker

I haven't really looked into machining one to fit until now. I was hoping to find a flywheel that would fit with little or no modifications but that option is not looking so good any more. The drawing that you sent of the LDS looks like it might be able to be machined but maybe the LDT flywheel would be a better choice if it has more material in the right places. Do you have a drawing of an LDT flywheel also?

bugwhacker

Well Looking at the LDT flywheel drawing it looks like it could be ground down flat then have a 14" pressure plate drilled into it. The starter ring being so close to the crankshaft flange center-line will require a spacer for the starter or a different starter. I am keeping the 5-ton bell housing because it is a true SAE#2 which will match perfectly with my hydraulic clutch box for the Eaton RTOO9513 transmission. I doubt that very many people will ever want to install the transmission I am installing but this bell housing will allow installation of many roadranger transmissions including the automated shifted manuals and the 9 speed overdrives which will fit without having to move the transfer case and have a final gearing of .72 which works out pretty good for big tires as an overdrive gear.

Thanks again gringeltaube for taking the time to pass this information along, its people helping people and sharing that makes this site so great.

Anyone have a spare LDT flywheel in the Kansas City area?

Last edited:

bugwhacker

I have a nice looking LDT flywheel to start chopping on now from 91W350 so I guess I need to find the time to get it to machine shop to be modified for the flat plate style pressure plate assembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks