• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using home heating oil in military diesel gensets

Triple Jim

The last large snow storm we had (25+"), the state had to bring in a dozer to clear the road for the plows...
I was here for that one, in January of 2000. I awoke to 20" and it was still coming down. It stayed below freezing for a week. Our power was out for several days and I ran a gasoline Onan in a motor home to keep the place going. Neighbors had no well water, and came to my house to fill containers. I got our 3/4 mile gravel road passable using my Ford tractor and box blade, but that was not the optimum setup. It was fun for the kids, and it was beautiful, but it was a huge mess. That was an extremely rare snowstorm for this part of NC.

storeman

T-Jim,
I was here for the one you mentioned. We called it the Christmas eve storm of 99. No power for 11 days. I'm at the end of the grid. Believe Dangier might be talking about a big storm that went just north of me about 2-3 years ago. My sons in Northern VA had 30" plus. I had rain but I'm sure Dangier had a dose of snow as well on that one.
Jerry:tank:

Triple Jim

Huh, the one I was talking about wasn't Christmas Eve, it was January 25th, 2000. The storm dropped a very heavy, but narrow band of snow as it went north through here. 50 miles east at lake Gaston it was only about 10". Where you are it may have been only a light snow or nothing at all. I do remember an ice storm here on a Christmas Eve, but I can't be sure it was 1999.

Munchies

I need me some high quality VT HHO!

In Germany I ran an 002 off my 1952 fiberglass HHO tanks. Thank god I got it at the military tax free price, diesel is outrageous in Germany. all of europe as well.

dangier

I believe it was winter of 2003 that we had the heaviest snow I can remember in the Shenandoah Valley. I tried to plow with a Ford 2n and rear blade. Succeeded in getting the 2n stuck and having to shovel to get it back to the house. Even the deer were following my shovel paths! Used that as an excuse to buy the 3130. :-D We did have a large amount of snow in Jan (?) 1996, but I was in Manassas, VA., everything was closed for a week, and did not lose power.

Ray70

A similar storm here in New England last winter is what pushed me to buy my first 002A, 24" of snow overnight, no power for a week. I have 2 young kids and my disabled in-laws next door and we have well water. I've got a 7800kw Generac (gas) and a malfunctioning 3600w generator for my in-laws house that would no longer kick over their well pump. All the near by gas stations either had no power or no gasoline left so I was siphoning gas out of the many cars I have. Never again! now I've got diesels and usually have 1500gl or more of HHO on hand. ( I search Craigslist and buy discount HHO from people converting to natural gas).

dangier

Ray70, being originally from VT, I hear you. Back in the days, we had a wood stove (or furnace) for heat and toughed out the loss of power. Burned 10 cords of wood most years. Remember a lot of -25 nights.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks