• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Utah to Southern Arizona

67Cougar

I Finally have my baby here with me! ! !

I moved to Arizona in July of 2007 and had to leave my deuce behind in Utah. My first place here in Arizona was a small trailer in a "Trailer Field", (a trailer park would have been a step up). There was no place to park my baby so it had to stay at home. My neighbor was nice enough to let me park it at his farm.

6 months ago I bought a place with 4 acres and a nice 30x40 shop. I started the process of bringing down all my toys. I wanted the deuce but my storage unit in Utah has Loading Bay Doors that are 4+ feet off the ground. I had to drive my projects into the deuce and the drive around the corner to the unloading ramp. So until I emptied all the cars the deuce had to stay. Well I finally got them all out.

Before I moved I went through and packed all the wheel bearing, installed new seals, and changed all the gear oil in the truck. I converted it to single wheels, and installed front hubs. It was all working good when I moved to Arizona.

In preparing for this trip I bought a set of Jatonka's oil and fuel filter adapters. Best money spent on the deuce so far. I also bought and installed the Curt hitch that many here have installed. Also a pyrometer and mechanical temp guage.

I planned for 3 days to prep and load the truck, 2 days for the drive, and 3 extras in case all Hell breaks loose. I spent 3 1/2 days trying to get stuff done. When you go back home everyone wants to stop and say "hi" so it takes forever to get anything done. Finally I gave up and just left around 5pm on Saturday night.

The Deuce was loaded pretty heavy. The load was . . . .
LDS-465 core engine
2 Ford 302's
1- 390
1 - 300 I-6
1 - 2.3 turbo
7 or 8 transmissions
2 engine stands
1 engine hoist
4 spares for the deuce

And then, I had my 76 Ford in tow. It was loaded with an extra set of tires, 2 fuel tanks from my old Peterbilt, and a headache rack. I pulled across a set of Cat scales at the first truck stop. 26,500 for the lot.

27 hours 15 minutes later I was home in Arizona. I drove through the night through some of the prettiest country. I stayed off the interstates for the most part. Maybe 65 miles total out of the 837 miles.

Minimal problems. First it would never get warm, so I cut a piece of cardboard and covered part of the radiator. Then in flagstaff I stopped for breakfast and heard my air leak (see photo), patched it with some rubber and a hose clamp. Some time further down the road the brakes started to feel a little weird. Had to pull the brake pedal up with my foot after using them each time. Stopped fine, just had to pull up the pedal.

Then I started to notice that my EGT's were starting to get a little hotter than what it had been running. I was thinking that I was going to have to change my fuel filter but was really tired from driving all night and was only about 150 miles from home. So I kept going and kept an eye on the EGT's. About 70 miles from home the truck started to miss really bad, so I pulled over and decide to change my primary filter. When I was underneath I noticed the IP was covered in fuel. So I primed the fuel system and fired it back up. I could see fuel seeping from the IP lines so I started to pull back the little rubber boots and the #5 line came right off in my hand and I got a face full of diesel. My Favorite Cologne! I was tired and it was dark. So I pushed the line and boot back in place so that the fuel would just drip down the Injector Pump and took off.

The fuel filter made a difference. I could feel that it was running better than before, even though I was only running on 5 cylinders instead of 6. I pulled into my driveway at 8:15 pm sunday night. The entire deuce smelled like diesel and the front of my F250 was coated in diesel. But I was home and everything was ok.

For the entire trip the Duece hummed, . . I mean ROARED along just fine at 50 mph on the flats. Most of the 6% grades I took at 20 mph both uphill and down. I was really careful to make sure that at all times I could stop my load if needed. I averaged 7.4 mpg and didn't even use a full quart of oil. Not bad for and old dog that has for the most part been parked for the last 17 months. Plus before this trip I never had my truck more than about 30 miles from the house. So needless to say I was pretty happy!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks