• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 Paint Scheme Question

vtdeucedriver

The second question is easy, 99% of the folks who see your V won't have a clue! :-D

Cheers
He is right but let me say this. Do any parade, Memorial day, veterans day or 4th of july. Look at the crowd and really look at them. 99% of them are waving their flags and cheering, for all they think is that you are active military. I mean really, who would be nutty enough to collect stuff like that!!! Now there will be someone that will look and not be waving, I often pick them out. There looking HARD, probably thinking back to a time long ago where they and there buddies thought that they were doing something right and still do for there country, only to come home feeling un appreciated. I often will get eye to eye contact with them amd when I do, they will usually greet me with a nod and I will return that to them. They are your 1% and they will know!!!

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very true. I do a lot of parades with my 5-ton and I am often asked by other Vets if I will let them ride. My answer is always "Of course". When they climb in the back and smell the truck (all MVs seem to smell the same), you can see an expression on their face that no one else gets. And at shows there is always someone who looks at the vehicle but doesn't say much, usually they put their hand on the vehicle and go far away. I leave them in peace until they come back to the present and want to chat. It is important to give them that.
In the end though, I really don't think most vets will really be too worried about the colour scheme you chose, they will be happy to see it. When I see a CH-53 I don't care that the camo is different than mine were painted back in the day, I am just delighted to see my old bird.

And what Vtdeucedriver said about enjoying time with your kids is so true. I have taken my kids to most MV events I have attended, and I cherish that time spent with them. My youngest boy, 14, has all the future events with the V100 planned out in detail.

Vtdeuce, that is one sweet M52!

Cheers

Last edited:

baseballump

The one's we had with the 630th MP co from Cam Rahn Bay were painted od green with black letters. The stars were either black or we didn't have them. If was belived anything with color was to good of a target.

cobmw

Thanks to everyone who gave their input on the colors. Your messages have made us see that owning an historic vehicle comes with more that just having something for fun. We will go with the original colors and do our best to keep the vehicle as close as possible to its VN configuration.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'm coming in a little late on this - but will chime in with there is a bit more to this than the "plain" SG olive drab on the M706, XM706E1. First, if you can determine the original registration number of YOUR vehicle, then it is possible I or someone else on this forum has a photo of your vehicle in Vietnam. I've just finished one book on these vehicles, which should be released later this month - and am about to start on another.

Many of these vehicles had rather colorful "nose art" paintings, and further decoration on the turrets and gun shields. An authentic (or authentic-appearing) Vietnam-era paint scheme would likely be anything but plain!

Congratulations on finding a great rare vehicle!

Best wishes,
David Doyle

TacticalTruck

The one's we had with the 630th MP co from Cam Rahn Bay were painted od green with black letters. The stars were either black or we didn't have them. If was belived anything with color was to good of a target.
Welcome home and welcome aboard baseballump. Any vintage pics of V's in country would be much appreciated.

Jeff

vtdeucedriver

I'm coming in a little late on this - but will chime in with there is a bit more to this than the "plain" SG olive drab on the M706, XM706E1. First, if you can determine the original registration number of YOUR vehicle, then it is possible I or someone else on this forum has a photo of your vehicle in Vietnam. I've just finished one book on these vehicles, which should be released later this month - and am about to start on another.

Many of these vehicles had rather colorful "nose art" paintings, and further decoration on the turrets and gun shields. An authentic (or authentic-appearing) Vietnam-era paint scheme would likely be anything but plain!

Congratulations on finding a great rare vehicle!

Best wishes,
David Doyle
Soon as I get my computer fixed, I got a FEW pics of V100's in the Highlands.

baseballump

Jeff I would send the pictures if I could But we lost most of then in a fire years ago. Of the few I do have I don't know how to up load the pictures to send them.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, I have been all excited about that book since you told me about it, really looking forward to seeing it.

To hold us until the book comes out, here are a few pics borrowed off the internet, most from the 720th MP site below, to give some ideas of nose art.

http://720mpreunion.org/history/vehicles/v100/v100_index.html

#2 Note the little windshield in front of the driver position.
#3 may not be totally appropriate for a "family" vehicle, but it's cute.
#4 gives a display idea with the stretchers on the front deck, that seems to have been pretty common for V100s in Vietnam.

Attachments

Last edited:

54reo

Jeff I would send the pictures if I could But we lost most of then in a fire years ago. Of the few I do have I don't know how to up load the pictures to send them.
Welcome aboard baseballump, and thanks for your service.

I see that you are not too far away from me ('bout an hour north of here), and it is always good to see another Southern IL member here.

cobmw, welcome to the site as well, you and your son have chosen a great project! Be sure to keep us all up to date with the progress (and you better have pics!!). You will find this site to be the most helpful resource in your restoration. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, a few of the most have already posted on this thread.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here are the painting instructions in TM 9-2320-245-24, section 4-11 (page 41) . This TM is dated Jan 1972 and would be a good indication how the factory was painting V's aorund this time. This would be near the end of V-100 production.

Section 4-11's text looks like it s copy from a typewriter document. It is noticeably different from the standard font.

JimK

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both nice books and cover different aspects of the V. Unfortunately Lathrop and McDonald's book was limited by Osprey's 'standard size' format, they will only make a book "so thick".
(For clarification- by the above I mean they had a lot more good material, it just wouldn't all fit in the small size book).

If you are into models, check out Hobbyboss' M706 in Vietnam (kit #82418 ). Very nice 1/35 scale kit, with the exception of the V150 based interior (and inaccurate at that). They make others in the V100/V150 series too.

Cheers

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have a special interest in David's book.. :wink:
I understand he is also doing another V100 book, which should be out imminently. Looking forward to that.

Another excellent book is "Armored Car" by R P Hunnicutt. JimK turned me on to that one (thanks Jim!), it has a superb section on the V100, and one on the V150. The book covers US wheeled armour history from a three wheeled thing with spoked rims up to 2002. It's a bit spendy, I paid close to $50 for a new copy, but if you like such things (me-:drool:, what can I say?) it is worth it. Shop around though, some sellers want $200+!

Cheers

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To prove that there are no absolutes, and there are always exceptions to the rules in the MV world, here is a picture of a camouflaged US Army V100 in Vietnam. This one came off Jeff's V100 Crew Member thread and was posted by Driver523 (who has also posted many other excellent period photos on that and other threads. Thank you Driver!!)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cadillac-gage-v100/28372-v-100-crew-member-vietnam-71-72-a-6.html
I am putting the picture here for context.

From looking at the photo, it appears to me to have the lighter shade of green patterned on top of the standard OD. I base this on 1-the colour; and 2- the markings are all on the darker shade, and the lighter shade looks to be painted around them.
Discuss.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks