• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vacuum wiper problem

seyit

Hi folks.OK mine is not a military jeep by birth,but she has quite some look of the kind.She is a 1962 Kaiser CJ 5 with kinda military attire.She has a glass bowl type fuel pump ever since I bought her over 30 years ago.She had two individual electric wiper motors when I purchesed her.Up to couple days ago I kept them there.BTW; My jeep has flip open ventilating windshield.Months ago I purchesed a pair of new in box vacuum wiper motors on eBay and intended to shift back to the vacuum system.I removed the electric ones and installed these just in place with no extra drilling etc.I routed a proper hose and started the engine,but no response from the wipers.I bought a fuelpump repair kit and replaced all inner parts at the vacuum chamber.( The fuel chamber works fine,so I didn't do any thing there) No mistake here because I check from the exploded view of the pump.The wipers do not operate yet.When I connect the hose to the intake manifold one of the motors works to some reasonable speed while the other still sucks at the idling rpm of the engine and when I accelerate a bit this working one also sucks since the vacuum falls in the engine.
In the listings , some sellers indicate for the very same of the motors I have that they are for M 151 MUTT .Both have manually control levers,too and it writes SK-527 something.The control levers are towards the domed side,but not to the flat side.So when I install them with the levers downward,the domed side looks downward.
Now am I having volume/vacuum/preassure problem with the current fuelpump to work these motors?I don't have a chance to check the pump with sort of gauges technically,but I notice that I have some vacuum at the vaccum port of the pump.If the current pump is not sufficient for these motors,do I have to get an M38A1 pump with flat top? Or am I sailing in the high seas for nothing and had better shift back to sort of electric ones?003.jpg 003.jpgResim 015.jpgResim 001.jpg

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

December 17th, 2014.

I might suggest a little air tool oil inhaled into the air intake ports on each wiper, that may free them up some. However, My M422A1 had two vacuum type military wiper motors, and it's V-4 could run one or the other, but rarely both. The peculiar result was one wiper would run at good speed going up hill, then cut out going down, and the other would run on the downgrades. The only solution was to only hook up one wiper motor.....:p