• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value Needed 56-58 M38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am wanting to venture into the Willys/Jeep vehicles. So far I have only had 5 tons. I have an opportunity to purchase this Willys from a person in my same town. Since I literally know very little about them I am looking for an honest assessment as to its value or anything I should check before making an offer. It has sat outside since 08 and the weather has clearly taken a toll on it. The owner keeps them for the historical aspects but is notorious for not maintaining oil, coolant, tire pressures, etc as he openly admits to rarely using them and not being a mechanic. I am looking for a guaranteed easy sell amount and a top dollar amount. I have not yet inspected in person but I am assuming that with the Ben-Hur Trailer it is worth around 7K. Willys being 6K and trailer 1K. He says in his purchase price plus paying a mechanic for repairs over the years he has 14K in it. I want to get a great deal to budget for paint, etc, but I also want to be fair with him. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

I found a picture of the title and it says model unknown but the year is listed as 1956. I also found another data place picture where the dimensions is listed and it states it is an "truck, utility, 1/4 ton, 4x4, M 38"

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am pretty positive Ben-Hur did not make a M100 trailer or Jeep size trailer, mainly 1.5T and up. You can get data plates and make them whatever you fancy. With that said a small 2 wheel vis mod trailer in that condition, unless the rear is cut out is still worth about 300 to 800 restored. There should be a grab handle on each corner, tie downs all around for the tarp and hard to tell, but looks like yours is a post war Converto civi trailer with stake pockets & tailgate. Used un restored M100 but straight now go for 1K up http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/M100 Jeep Trailer.htm

The jeep for sure has the wrong gage/dash board, grill looks ok and not enough good pictures of the tub like the rear to say if original, reproduction or civi body. I would guess cobbled civi. It has some hard to find items that are rare and real, rear seat looks good, machine gun pedestal mount, and what may be a radio under the canvas on left rear fender, mounts for the rifle holder inside of windshield, lock outs(civi), artillery tow bar for hooking 2 jeeps together. 5K max for a fake (it will never be right) Army style parade Jeep & trailer. What to they say on Antiques Road Show. "in the style of" a 52 Willy M38!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great information! I went ahead and cancelled my appointment with him as I do not want anything not close to correct. He said he has 14K in it, and was willing to take 10, and by your comments and other research I know we are really far apart (even if I would take civi model stuff) I called and cancelled my appointment. On this like to wikipedia you can see the gas filler is supposed to be under the side protector which is even more proof its a combination vehicle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_M38#/media/File:Willys_M38_JT-23-70_pic3.JPG

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M38 Jeeps were only made from 1950-1952. If it's a '56 it isn't a M38. As stated above the tub and dash panel certainly are not correct. Looks like a CJ-3a made into a faux M38. Steering and suspension dont look right for either an M38 or a CJ-3a. However, 6k isn't too bad for a mechanically and aesthetically sound Willys. It's a little high for a mix-master, but if it runs, drives, and stops with only minor issues and you like it for what it is then go for it.

mdainsd

I agree, its a FrankenJeep, but still with 6 to 7 K$ Note in addition to wrong dash: no cowl battery box, no glovebox, wrong master data plate carrier.

jimm1009

Older thread but from what I can see is with leaves on the floor is a CJ2A tub with a cut out dash section for the M38 gauges.
I do not see the large, removable floor section for transmission and engine servicing nor the small glove box
that is supposed to be on the right side of the dash for an M38.
M38 models were only made in 1950, 51, and 52 for US forces but am not sure about other countries.
An M38A1 is almost identical to a CJ5 but has the second battery box in the right side cowl forward of the windshield as the M38
and a few other military-only oddities but has round fenders, etc. The A1 was based on the CJ5 and the plain M38 was based
on the CJ3A.
I was born in Evansville and miss Hoosier Land greatly. Hope all is well in IN.
Jim
PS: In hind sight of my post and to be brutally honest, it is a felony to falsely relabel a vehicle as something else and the current
owner could be held responsible for this mistake is anyone wanted to formerly complain about a 65 year old jeep. We all do some midifications
to our jeeps and I have and do this too to improve my current ride but I never attempt to call a mule a horse and demand payment for a horse
if this makes sense.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra info! Luckily I passed on this one. The person who owns it is a Vietnam vet with a good heart and is honest. He knows almost zero about anything mechanical and has a few MV's to remember his younger years. He bought it "Restored" and I am sure he just does not know any better and himself was taken advantage of. By letting all of his gear sit outside that has really hurt the equipment and making it show its age. If you are ever back in Evansville and you have some spare time be sure to look me up! We are growing our collectors club here and getting some traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks