• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve Covers leaking

Russm

Mine were leaking. Undid all the bolts and they were basically loose. They were also deformed. Cleaned everything up and used rtv. They still leak.

How do I straighten out the flanges or what's a reputable source for new ones?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

87cr250r

Which RTV did you use? The Right Stuff in black is the best to use.

Make sure the surfaces are clean bare metal. No paint.

Trying to install the valve covers in chassis can be tricky. Those rear rocker arms like to scrape the RTV off while you snake the cover between the brake booster or fuel filter housing. I recommend rehearsing with a few dry runs before applying the RTV.

A block of wood in your vise to act as an anvil works with a hammer to straighten things out. If you can get them to 1/16" you are good.

Last edited:

Barrman

As written above Right Stuff is what you use on a super clean surface. I normally go a step further and get them on with the bolts finger tight. Then I torque them to the really light spec after it has set up for hours or a day.

The block of wood thing works great with the valve cover upside down and a small ball peen hammer with the round peen end in the bolt hole. Then hit the head of that hammer with another hammer.

cucvrus

Call me an idiot or what ever you like, I have always used Felpro gaskets and Permatex The Right Stuff . In my opinion the valve covers are scrap and are only good one time with sealer alone. After that I use gaskets and sealer. Do as you wish I am not a mechanic and only do this as a hobby. I am a body builder by trade. Good Luck.

Russm

Call me an idiot or what ever you like, I have always used Felpro gaskets and Permatex The Right Stuff . In my opinion the valve covers are scrap and are only good one time with sealer alone. After that I use gaskets and sealer. Do as you wish I am not a mechanic and only do this as a hobby. I am a body builder by trade. Good Luck.
Sealer applied on which side of the gasket? Or on both sides?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

87cr250r

Ideally with gaskets you should use some type of compression limiter. A piece of thin tubing cut slightly shorter than the thickness of the gasket installed around each bolt would allow the gasket to be torqued properly without squishing the gasket to oblivion or causing it to extrude.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks