• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vertical Air Intake

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would say so. Is that lunch I see walking in front of the deuce?
Dude, concrete blocks can't walk, Bjorn probably stacked them there.....

eddiec

m215, have been looking at doing the same as you, my only question was if i should add a brace off the fender for it to rest on, or attach to due to the weight and vibration. any comments?

M215

Air intake

I was at a local auto parts store that sales commercial truck parts, they had the elbow (4" exhust) laying on the counter. It gave me the idea of making the verticle intake. Used the same clamp as the original cap to hold to the air box, it is very solid and has not moved in over a year without any additional support. The elbow was cut to allow just enough clearance for the hood to open, didn't want it sticking out to far.
Karl

rizzo

Air intake

M215 said:
I was at a local auto parts store that sales commercial truck parts, they had the elbow (4" exhust) laying on the counter. It gave me the idea of making the verticle intake. Used the same clamp as the original cap to hold to the air box, it is very solid and has not moved in over a year without any additional support. The elbow was cut to allow just enough clearance for the hood to open, didn't want it sticking out to far.
Karl
looks good!!

Armada

You are right Bjorn, with a good snow sitting on the fender, the mushroom is covered up. I had a 'no start' the first time I went to start mine after a good snow. Checking the intake is now part of the 'pre-flight' checklist.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no drain on the air filter canister, so if you suspect that water may have gotten in, you have to take the filter out and check.
In the movie "A time to kill" (Sandra Bullock), there are several National Guard M35's used and they feature the right angle intake.

houdel

Hmm - no water drain on the air filter canister. How about (in addition to the vertical inlet) attaching one of those soft rubber one-way drains commonly found on the bottom of an automobile A/C evaporator to the bottom of the canister (on the "dirty air" side, it is lower than the "clean air" side). That would provide a positive fluid drain no matter what. The A/C drains are there to let water which collects in the A/C evaporator drain out without allowing air to be sucked back into the car. You can often see them dripping water if you are running your A/C on a particularly humid day.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's called a "vacuator" valve, you squeese it to drain. Commercial trucks have them.
Perhaps the fording requirement for the deuce made it impractical.
Picked one up at a truck salvage yard some years ago, but never installed it...

rmgill

rdixiemiller said:
Is that a 4" exhaust elbow?
That is one of my gripes about the deuce design, it is hard to get to the dipstick without opening the entire hood.
Better than my dingo. The rear engine cover is not hinged. You need two people to lift it off because it's 1/8" thick armor plate that's about 3'x5' square.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks