• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VFD M35A2c returning to Texas Forest Service

GopherHill

Our department will be returning our M35A2c to the forest service before too much longer. I'm sure it will be auctioned off. A good running, easy starting truck. Has air o matic steering. Pretty clean except for bed rust. Watch for it to come to auction.
I'm about the only driver left for it and I'm 75.

Attachments

GopherHill

Everyone else is spoiled with automatic transmissions? :p

I'd like to drive an M35A2 at least once just to see what it's like compared to my A3. I haven't driven a manual transmission in forever!
That is one of the reasons the M35 is going away. I think it drives just fine, just sluggish due to the weight of fire fighting equipment.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M35A2 in low range is a terrific vehicle to teach someone how to drive manual transmission. Loud enough to hear what the engine and drive train are doing, enough torque to essentially never stall (and put off the trainee!) and slow enough to be able to concentrate on running five gears up....and five gears down....and five gears up....

As far as trucks go, the M35A2 is easy to drive and "compact".

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
An M35A2 in low range is a terrific vehicle to teach someone how to drive manual transmission. Loud enough to hear what the engine and drive train are doing, enough torque to essentially never stall (and put off the trainee!) and slow enough to be able to concentrate on running five gears up....and five gears down....and five gears up....

Yes Sir.
There is no reason not to learn to shift gears!

HDN

Years ago I remember reading a post on G503 justifying a deuce-and-a-half for a teenager's first car. Some stuff I remember or maybe added:

• Learn how to drive a manual transmission
  • Fuel efficiency isn't as high as other vehicles, leaving little spare money for drugs, cigarettes, and beer
  • The truck is generally slow, so there won't be much speeding happening
  • The truck is big with steel construction, so if they crash into anything they aren't as likely to get hurt
  • The truck isn't as likely to be stolen since most people, especially other high schoolers, can't drive a manual transmission or figure out how to start the thing
  • Learn PMCS like oil changes, and how to check brakes and grease wheel bearings
  • Learn tool and shop safety, like how to jack and support the truck, properly maintain tools like chisels, drifts, and wire brushes
  • Help mom and dad move big stuff that won't fit in the pick-up or minivan
  • Learn to not rub the tires against the driving surface while stationary due to (presumed) lack of power steering

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks