• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam Era USMC hood number questions M151

HILLBILLY 06

Anybody know how to get the numbers right on a 1967 USMC M151 for the hood, bumpers, etc. I have read some of the other posts, and see where some use the vehicle serial number, in sequence with other numbers & unit numbers to make the hood numbers, etc. It's a little confusing sometimes, but if I can find a good example, I would like to try to put the numbers on there. I read somewhere that sometimes "pressure sensitive" numbers were used, which type, size and or color could be used? Are they talking about the numbers like you get at Lowe's and Home depot?
It is currently a dark green color, not camo paint. My serial number is (USMC 335014) so how would I put this on the hood, ex: USMC above 335014 ? would a unit number be placed before or after this number to make it right? Will it also go on the front bumper of the M151, or something else?
I know this subject get's run in the ground, and I did read some stuff, but mostly on larger vehicles, and I wasn't positively sure if I got this figure out, so I wanted to try to ask the folks that done this before.

moose53

DOD Mil Standard 642 spells out markings for Marine Corps vehicles, placement, colors used, paint/adhesive lettering etc. if its not in the TM's available on this site, you can find it in the manual section on my website, G838.org, and probably many other places.

Jim

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the era you are doing, 2" yellow lettering on Marine Green is appropriate. Most M151's will have the USMC 335014 in one line along the hood. It is very rare for the Marines to 'stack' the lettering/numbers on the hood, but it was occasionally done. If there is one consistent thing with Marine markings, it is that they will stray from normal sometimes!

The Marines were late into the stick on markings, and don't seem to have used them as much as other services, most vehicles have their id's painted on. In the Vietnam era, the lettering was 'filled in', as in there are no stencil gaps in the letters/numbers. There are, of course, exceptions.

The USMC on the front bumper can be on either left or right side at that time, with the vehicle number on the other. On the back, the USMC will almost invariably be on the drivers side. Again, all in 2" characters.

Note that the Marines, until recently, marked tire pressure as ##PSI, rather than TP##. Again, you will see TP markings sometimes, but PSI was the norm.

As regards unit markings, Marine vehicles are usually pretty anonymous. The owning unit is not spelled out as on Army vehicles. Individual units would put some markings on sometimes though, best to do you own research and see what you like.

I'll see if I can dig up a few M151 pictures for you. The ones attached are other vehicles, but show pertinent information.
Note that in the M422 picture, it has 3rd MarDiv emblems on the front and side (just behind that one Marine's elbow).

When doing your research, try to find original vehicle pictures, unfortunately many of the restored ones have inaccurate markings on them!

Cheers

(I'm a slow poster, others beat me to it!)

Attachments

Last edited:

HILLBILLY 06

WOW thank's... I think I can get it now, I just didn't want to rush into it, not ask around, then have everybody tell me I did it wrong...LOL Thanks a bunch for the help.

HILLBILLY 06

That looks great, thanks again... I remember seeing someplace that makes the stencil kit for you, but I lost the link on it someplace. They didn't seem over priced either for what they were either. I will try to look around for those again.

Whiterabbit

Militarystencils.com would be a good source. There are others out there in google land.
It can be confusing getting it right the first time. My rule is Pvt Joe never read the manuals when he applied numbers,did repairs and painted the darn things!:roll:

HILLBILLY 06

I like that website, thanks for the link. I just sent them a few questions as soon as I saw their site. I had been looking at a few other places, but some of the other places seem to have had the wrong font type for 1960's I think they may be using more modern font type.
Some of them also had two different (M) versions for USMC, but they looked like the ones I see on the newer vehicles. Hopefully I'll hear back from the (militarystencils.com) soon, and be able to get some stuff from them.

RodUSMC1962

The mighty mite in m813rc`s pic is correct, ours had 3 inch letters and numbers. I can`t read numbers that could have been one of ours. The tac markings were on the front and back and both sides. :driver:

HILLBILLY 06

WOW, that's a large decal on the side of that one, I can't read what it say's right below the passenger seat, but it sure is big...LOL
I'd like to see another one of those..."anybody know what it is?" I never saw one like that on an M151.

HILLBILLY 06

I think it is, I contacted them to ask about the USMC stencils, and he gave me the following info:
Dave,Do not have a MC set on the web site as they only used hood numbers and bumper numbers.
Cost for 3” hood numbers is $30.00 in paint mask. 2” will be $25.00
Cost for 2” bumper marks is $25.00
TP’s are $2.00 each and fuel caution is $10.00 these are optional.
Cannot make in a reusable stencil only one time use paint mask
Thanks,
Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks