• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam GT Weapons

WarrenD

I know that the fix weapons were 50 cals, 30 cals, mini's or M-60s but did the GT crews stash anything else aboard? I'm wondering if they kept M-16's, M-79's and maybe LAWS rockets handy in the gunbox?

badga the badger

anything and everything. i dont think i've seen a pic of LAWs in them, but cant rule out the possiblity. m16s, m1911s, m79s, i've heard they occasionaly had a .357 revolver. they even had spare m60s.

Driver523

Yep-----Laws were out there---grease guns, 45s, hand crank mini, and electric, chi coms, even heard of RPGs and launcher, frags, HE for the M-79s, + smoke, gas, Flachetts (?) anything and everything---could even say your wildest dreams, m-1s and 2s, shot guns---well you get the idea----AND all the ammo and everything was free---unlike now days we weren't limited to a few hundred rounds-----each truck was different and everyone wanted their own thing but you could get anything--------Driver

tbearatkin

I know in the Seabees they showed us how to use sandbags and mount our 81mm mortar in the back of a deuce I see no reason why they would not have been in a gun truck as well.

As Driver said, if you can imagine it, someone had it. We had a couple of Laws on the Mighty Minny at one time. Never needed them and finally fired them at the range just for the heck of it. Not saying noone had them but I personally never a Thompson on a truck. The ARVNs had some but could never talk them out of one. Saw several Grease guns but no Thompsons. Ho Chi's Hearse had an automatic grenade launcher at one time.

historyfanatics

Personal Weapons

In talking with the Artillery Vets, the Quad trucks were just as diverse in personal weapons as the regular Gun Trucks.

Personal weapons ranged from M16s and M79s, to M60s, a .32 cal snubbie revolver, a .38 cal revolver, M1911 pistols, M3 grease guns, a pump shotgun, M14s (early in war - pre-1967), baseball bats, etc. This is on top of the quad .50's in back.

A few of the 5-ton Quad Trucks used the M60 with all tracer ammo to direct the fire of the quad 50s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks