• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vintage Jeeps on the Blue Ridge Parkway

kaiser715

Under the auspices of the East Coast Willys Association, we are planning a road trip, primarily targeting vintage Jeeps, running the full 470-mile length of the Blue Ridge Parkway across Virginia and North Carolina, in the Fall of 2014.

Information as it develops is being posted at the website jeeptour.sanlee.com

We also have a planning forum as a sub-part of the full forum at the ECWA.

If you are interested, and have a vintage "small" Jeep, MV or civilian, we'd like to have you join in.

DP

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Man, that sounds like fun. I wish we still had our M38A1. :(

kaiser715

OK...I'm going to call it! With the results of the Poll, plus comments on other forums, PM's, and email, the Blue Ridge Parkway tour is set for the weekend of September 18-21, 2014.

So...schedule your vacation time, and start wrenching!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way too early for me to commit, but I'm in if I am in the AO.

Don't be surprised if <---- shows up at the last minute

kaiser715

UPDATE: After several hectic weeks with family and work, I finally had some free time tonight and thought I'd work thru some emails and PM's from folks about the trip, and post some updates on the various forums.

We are looking at two nights "on the road". I had been thinking Fancy Gap and Spruce Pine, but several people have recommended Meadows of Dan, just a few miles North of Fancy Gap, as a better place for the first night. I am going to do some research on that. I still need someone in each area to check out the campgrounds and get some more information. Also, some folks may want to camp near Waynesboro, and again at Cherokee at either end of the trip, so some input on camping in those areas would be great. I hope to have campsites firmly set in the next few weeks so folks can start making their reservations. From past experience, most campgrounds allow two vehicles and two tents per site, so I'd recommend that everyone try and buddy up with someone on your "home" forum (ecj5, cj2apages, etc) when making your reservations...both to leave sites for others, and to cut your nightly costs.

I really don't have any idea of of how many participants there will be, and we really won't know until the ride is over...I'm not planning on any fancy registration, etc....just show up and ride, and folks can make their own campsite reservations. From the survey and emails, it looks like most participants will be camping instead of using motels. From the responses I have received...maybe 30 people (vehicles) have said that they are "definitely going"...from past experience, it could be a tenth of that, or double. Many more don't want to commit to the logistics of the full length, and are just talking about riding part of a day.

If someone wants to do something like a t-shirt to commemorate the event, feel free. Just design, post, and sell. I got no objections. Remember is not a site/forum specific ride, other than operating under the auspices of the ECWA (East Coast Willys Association) "Adventure Rides". Contact the ECWA for permissions first if you are want to consider using their name/logo/etc as part of a design, though.

Each day will be mostly "play it by ear"...the morning start time being the only scheduled item. With 40-60 year old Jeeps, we could easily be wrenching on the side of the road, towing to the next camp (or a safe place), making a parts run, or whatever. We will try and "guestimate" waypoint times during the day, for those that want to meet up along the way. We need someone good with GPS/mapping/websites to create a method for some sort of an interactive reporting of where we are (for those trying to meet us, and to torment those at home).

I know space is limited in the little Jeeps. We'll be tight with 2 people and a big dog in the CJ-5. Personally, I am hoping to have my jeep-sized trailer built by September. If anyone that is Jeepless has an enclosed cargo trailer and would be willing to help by hauling camping gear (maybe limit to something like 1 duffel bag and 1 rubbermaid tote per person?), then maybe we can work out a contribution to your gas bill (on an individual basis).

If you have any ideas, suggestions for must-sees, side trips, a good place for a "family" photo (likely on Saturday), etc, let me know. There are threads going on several Jeep/4x4 related forums, and, of course, the "home" forum for the trip at the ECWA. I try and summarize information on the page http://jeeptour.sanlee.com

DP

kaiser715

Finally getting back around to this....sorry I have been AWOL... Long story short, I have been the sole caregiver for an elderly uncle--severe dementia, was getting worse day-by-day this spring...he passed away on June 21st. He was eating up 20-40 hours a week, plus trying to keep my business going. Been working since he passed getting all the estate stuff started...he left a real mess behind. I am finally getting some time to work on other things, I plan to spend time on trip planning this coming weekend/week.

So...the trip is still a "go", and more info coming ASAP.

kaiser715

CAMPING INFO....

I have made a couple of campground reservations for myself. and am working on a group site for one night. We will be staying at the Staunton/Walnut Hills KOA on Thursday, September 18. I plan to be at Milepost 0.0 of the parkway at 10AM on Friday, September 19th. (10am, because we'll have about a 45 minute drive from the KOA to Rockfish Gap/0.0. Anyone wanting to meet, can find us either at the KOA by 9AM, or we'll wait for a bit at milepost 0.0 of the parkway.

We have made a single site reservation for ourselves at the Fancy Gap KOA (Milepost 199.5) for Friday night. That CG is about 1/2 mile off the parkway. Saturday morning, if you are staying in the campground, we'll meet up there, or meet at a TBA location right at the parkway entrance (couple of gas stations, etc there). Plan on a 9am meeting/start time at the parkway entrance/gas station/TBA. If anyone in that area can ID a good meeting place, that would be great...from the PM's and mail I have gotten, Saturday will be the "big" day, with the most participants.

Y'all go ahead and make your reservations for these two campgrounds, or nearby motels, as you wish.

For Saturday night, I am working on a group site at the Bear Den campground in Spruce Pines. I'll post details ASAP...I'll work it out in the next couple of days, then the first 20 or so vehicles that want to go in on it, then first-come-first-serve, paypal to me (should be about $7 per person).

I am not planning to overnight at Cherokee. I plan to have my truck and trailer waiting for me when I get down there, and will head home shortly after reaching the terminus.

DP

kaiser715

Got an email today asking several questions about Communications.

First if you have a CB in your Jeep, get it tuned and ready....I'll have mine on CH 16.

Any HAMS going?? I will be on 2M.... 146.580 KJ4DNF

FRS - never had luck with it in the CJ...ignition noiseI gkills it for me.

Does anyone want to volunteer to post periodic updates online (at least on the ECWA forum), so folks that want to join us along the way will know about where we are?

DP

kaiser715

CAMPING UPDATE:

Group camp isn't going to work out -- unless someone wants to front the money and make the reservation -- we had to put a new heat pump in the house last week, funds are short.... I went ahead and made a single-site reservation for myself at Bear Den.

So, to recap, the camp sites are:

Thursday night Waynesboro, VA (milepost 0.0) --- Staunton/Walnut Hills KOA
Friday night (milepost 199.5) Fancy Gap VA --- Fancy Gap KOA
Saturday night (milepost 324.8) Spruce Pine, NC --- Bear Den Campground www.bear-den.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks