• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia sales and Use Tax for Title

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had any luck avoiding VA Sales Tax on a HUMVEE for farm use? I will plate it as an un-registered farm vehicle but it seems there is no way to avoid the sales and use tax applied when I apply for the new title. The other option is to not get a title and pay nothing. However, this makes it harder to operate it on a road to the dump or for supplies with the new farm plate law starting July 2024.

I tried every excuse including the GVWR of 7,700 lbs and AG use but the DMV didn't want to hear it. They told me that even with farm tags I couldn't take it off the property, which is completely false.

Thanks and Happy New Year

peggrw

The only thing that I can think off is, " If you are titling your vehicle in Virginia for the first time and you hold a valid title or registration in your name by another state or a branch of the United States Armed Forces, you will not have to pay the SUT. However, if you purchased the vehicle within the last 12 months, you must provide proof that the SUT was paid elsewhere in order to be exempt in Virginia. "

I feel you pain with the Farm Use tag problem. Can't slap Farm Use on the side without a title, which having no official paperwork is impossible for me to get. Don't want to do anything other than pop between my neighbor's farms and would be willing to pay taxes and insurance to do that. Tractors, combines, ATVs and other off road vehicles can do it here without any worry, but my HMMWV can't. Luckily, I have 60 acres to tool around on, and each of my neighbors has a couple hundred each. There is a diesel mechanic's shop, should I need it, 12 miles away that I can get to from the narrow single lane back roads. Haven't seen a patrol car on any of those in 20 years.

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4.15% tax for the title transfer. And the seller put the full price on their title when they signed it over. Of course, I would never put a lower price than paid on a title.

It came with a title, and until July 2024 you don't need a title for the tags, but when that changes you need a title even for a non-registered farm use - meaning limited highway travel for approved use. But I guess that's better than no option for a title.

I guess I'll pay the man and then figure out how to fix the door handles and put the doors on. Been a little chilly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks