• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia Title

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In regards to a CDL a deuce and a half is under the 26,001 pound GVWR cut off so a CDL would not be an issue either way. A little over 3 years ago I looked in to Virginia's overall CDL requirements and was told as long as you are not for profit and hauling your own stuff you do not need one no matter what the weight of the truck is. When I asked for proof what I found was the state law that the state officials go by as far as who needs a CDL said to refer to the federal guide about CDL requirements. Since the federal book said CDL's were only needed for people in commerce I was clear to drive what I wanted. Just watch out, if you haul something for a friend and he buys you fuel you will be seen as being commercial at that point.

One bad thing about Virginia though is anything over 10,000 pounds has to stop at the scales. Even if you are empty (unless you're driving a wrecker).

Ruppster

Viper350

I think that now in Va if its over 26,000 lbs. you have to have a C.D.L. unless its registered as an R.V. That is how all of these "NOT FOR HIRE" semis get away with it.

gtsig

I am really looking hard to buy a truck have to save money or win a bid at the SC GL
More I learn about them the happier I get and the more I want one or two or ten. If I had the money I would have any and all that were for sale :twisted:

Nonotagain

How would I go about getting a title for a deuce and do I need a CDL in Virginia?
If you purchase from Government Liquidation, GL will issue a Florida title. I think there are 6 or 7 states that won't accept a SF-97, and Virginia is one of them.

I chatted with Heidi @ GL this afternoon about getting some SF-97's processed and asked if there was any way to get a title instead of a SF-97.

My issue is that I want to title a few of my recent purchases in Virginia (planning on moving in about year) and one in Maryland. I was directed to contact the GL department that handles the SF-97's via e-mail to see what could be worked out.

Just thought I'd add to this, as I purchased an M1101 trailer from GL late 2011. In my quest to title it in VA, I paid the $60 to GL. I got an AZ title in the mail today with a Bill of Sale. I'll be taking the AZ title and the Bill of Sale to the DMV and will report back. Just thought I'd share this since I was curious and this was one of the threads that I found with relevant information about GL, Titles, and the State of Virginia . . .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks