• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Visitors onboard Gun Trucks

historyfanatics

Here's a question for all of y'all who let the public onboard your gun trucks. How do you get them into the bed of the truck?

I have been looking at different ladders to let the vets into the bed of The Widow Maker, but haven't had much luck. aua

I need one that is sturdy enough for some of the larger folks, prefereably has provisions for a handrail, but is still light enough for me to manage by myself at the end of a long event.

Granted, the convoy trucks are set up differently from a quad truck, but the issue still remains.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

gunboy1656

I don't have a GT but when I first started hauling vets in parades. My dad had made a ladder out of one of the industrial ladders cut down to fit.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The ONLY entry/exit point on Proud American is thru the cab and front cutout of the gunbox.

We have a standing order...One person on the ground assisting folks into/out of the cab, one person at the front cutout assisting entry/exit of the gunbox and at least one person in the gunbox watching to see that nothing "disappears" and that no one gets hurt.
Without these folks to watch...NOBODY enters the truck!

I'm not sure if that helps in your case.

Attachments

historyfanatics

PapaBear,

I like the Standing Order. However, I don't have a "gunbox," per se. Instead, an open area for the quad mount (still working on getting that - the @#*%!!! things are expensive!!).

Being a 2-1/2 ton truck, we naturally have a lot less room. And, our boardings will take place over the tailgate area.

I'm more concerned with getting the vets onboard than the general public. In most cases, I'd prefer the general public to stay off the truck. Not only for their safety, but for my nerves (and ulcer, can't forget the ulcer).

I have an ammo trailer to haul stuff in, so if anybody has ideas, I'm all ears (and sure do look funny with all these ears).

zout

I know with getting on PB's guntruck it is a chore and it is handled as professional as can be - very solid reasons to do so. I have seen folks slip but they are immediately handled. But your talking about a select group of individuals whom feel it is THEIR truck as well.

If your limited - my suggestion is access is going to have to be controlled and watched carefully - all you really do not need is one authorized OK its fine to get on the GT and then have someone fall. You may just wind up saying NO to some - but you will be safe.

Even though you might already know - even on the truck walking and moving around has to be watched carefully.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not a Gun truck but M146 trailer, a buddy had a CH47 maintenance stand that the right hand rail was all bent up. I removed the wheels, cut off the bad hand rail. I still need another so folks can come in the back and out the side. For now just keep the back blocked with displays.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PapaBear,
I like the Standing Order. However, I don't have a "gunbox," per se. Instead, an open area for the quad mount (still working on getting that - the @#*%!!! things are expensive!!).
Being a 2-1/2 ton truck, we naturally have a lot less room. And, our boardings will take place over the tailgate area.
I'm more concerned with getting the vets onboard than the general public. In most cases, I'd prefer the general public to stay off the truck. Not only for their safety, but for my nerves (and ulcer, can't forget the ulcer).
I have an ammo trailer to haul stuff in, so if anybody has ideas, I'm all ears (and sure do look funny with all these ears).
Duh!!! What was I thinking??
Of course you don't have a gunbox.. that would make a heck of a mess if ya opened up with the quads!:shock:

I agree that you should limit the access to your truck as much as possible and give Veterans...especially Guntruckers priority.

I on the other hand, am a sucker for kids and they ALWAYS want to get in the truck and the teens want their pictures taken behind the guns etc., I can't help it...I find a way to accomodate them and yes..sometimes the old stomach starts churning and my life passes before my eyes etc. If one of them gets hurt I'm screwed, blued and tatooed as WM says...but I do it anyway.:-o

Now for the Veterans, the Vietnam Veterans are say, 60-ish plus and most of them are he11 bent for leather to get on that truck...regardless of their ability. So...we push, pull and drag them...whatever it takes to get them on/off Proud American...again...the pucker factor is great sometimes.

OK...back to your problem of boarding the truck.

I think a standard M109 ladder will work if you drop the tailgate and maybe make a bracket to secure it...but...the angle is pretty steep.
This is where the extra folks come into play to pull/push etc, and to keep things safe.

Whatever happens, just remember it's YOUR truck and YOU are the Truck Commander...YOU call the shots and You are responsible for all that happens on your watch.

I have had to just say no to a few folks getting on Proud American because I was just afraid they could not get on board without hurting themselves...but only maybe 4 times in several years.

Anyhoo...good luck with your truck build and God Bless!

Attachments

AnonymousOne

I was thinking the same thing ... I put this on my wish list when the $$$ shows up ... You will need a hacksaw or something to create an opening to walk into the truck... and something like sandbags to stop the wheels from rolling.

Search the sites for "Rolling Ladder" ..

Attachments

gunboy1656

I was thinking the same thing ... I put this on my wish list when the $$$ shows up ... You will need a hacksaw or something to create an opening to walk into the truck... and something like sandbags to stop the wheels from rolling.

Search the sites for "Rolling Ladder" ..
That is the same type ladder I posted pic of, just cut to fit.

historyfanatics

Guys,

Thanks for the pictures! They certainly make things easier to visualize.

I like the cut down ladder. That would certainly make it portable when my help abandons me at the end of an event.

Of course, priority for boarding is given to veterans. There's even a place on the truck for the surviving crew members to sign their names. And, I'm dressing out a fuel can for all the vets to sign.

I do become a nervous Nellie at times, and probably think too hard on some things. :deadhorse:

Moving around the truck bed on The Widow Maker is somewhat precarious due to the quad mount, sandbags, ammo boxes, etc.

And, I understand the bit about the kids. I help out on another gun truck from time to time, and "stand guard" at his ladder to help folks up and down, and make sure rowdiness doesn't happen. He's in the truck, answering questions. We usually have one or two others to help out. I'm hoping that I can "talk" some of these guys into helping me out. :)

Again, thanks everybody for the ides. If anybody else has any ideas, please let me know.

m816

I have always been "public friendly" with access to the gunbox on the Untouchable. My truck always draws the bggest crowds when we display. Up until this year I usually station myself or a trusted grew mwmber in or near to watch for souvinier hunters. Entry to the gunbox is by going up a 109 boarding ladder. I then put a couple short boarding ladders from the spare tire section, over the bulkhead and another ladder into the gunbox itself. I did all the alteration because a few of the guntrucker and their wives, who want to get up in the box find it too hard anymore. I felt bad for them. Then I found that that the public loves being in the box. Things have been going well untill this year when a couple of the twelve to fourteen year olds got up in the back and have raised havoc with the displays. I'v replaced the broken stuff but it is too expensive to do every year. and I don't have a crew with me most of the time. My solution from now on will be to bring along a pop up tent and put all the weapons and comm gear on display on the ground. Then rope it off. The thing I worry most about is the rough treatment that the Miniguns get when the nitwits try to shake the crap out of them when they "shoot" them. The truck has a angle iron support at the back seperating the "armor at the far rear.I used to stand at the bottom of the boarding ladder and tell people to watch their head when getting to the top of the ladder. I gave that up after watching them keep smaking their heads on it. Now, I just say" I bet that hurt, didn't it" I get a chuckle and they frown. haha. I'm hoping that having all the small weapons and radio gear on the ground will provide better security because I can grab that stuff and put away without all the climbing up and down, which I can no longer do.

historyfanatics

I have always been "public friendly" with access to the gunbox on the Untouchable. My truck always draws the bggest crowds when we display. Up until this year I usually station myself or a trusted grew mwmber in or near to watch for souvinier hunters. Entry to the gunbox is by going up a 109 boarding ladder. ....
The Widow Maker will have her first show appearance in April. I have basically decided that nobody is getting in the bed of the truck, except the crew and former crewmembers. It's easier on my nerves and my insurance.

I installed locking door handles from Vintage Power Wagon on my cab doors. This keeps people from rummaging around my cab while I'm busy on the other end. They fit with little work. A little scuffing so the paint will go on, and they look like OEM.

One of my problems with the quad mount is that it is electric. It's too easy for somebody to engage it and walk away. So, that's why I have the rules. Plus, I have commo gear in the bed of the truck, as well as other gear I'd just as soon not let get away.

I like the ideas and am incorporating them into my displays. Thanks!

ouchman

The best set-up we had for Satan's 'lil Angel was after it was first built and we had ladders and scaffolding on one side so the able bodied public could peek over the side into the bed. Now we have very limited access through the cab due to private ownership, wear and tear issues and outright theft at pubic displays. Theft has become a big issue at club and other events.

historyfanatics

Theft has become a big issue at club and other events.
Yes, theft has become a big issue. I did a display with The Widow Maker in April. We had several 40mm grenades (pulled out of my bandolier and a friend's grenade vest) plus the end caps for a rocket launcher walk off.

And, at a more recent display for the Armed Forces Ball, we had a lady try to get into the truck. Her husband and son were standing there telling her not to do it. Her complaint when told to get out - "There aren't any signs saying I can't do this." The response - 'Yes, ma'am. I'll make signs for your car, too."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks