• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage Regulator Dead?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a hard resin, I use MEK to dissolve potted electronics, the regulator I have seemed to be somewhat pliable, I have not tried to dissolve it yet.
I was thinking it may be silicone based but if that were the case the alcohol you are using would have no effect, so I would think the MEK would work.

Tanabi

If it is a hard resin, I use MEK to dissolve potted electronics, the regulator I have seemed to be somewhat pliable, I have not tried to dissolve it yet.
I was thinking it may be silicone based but if that were the case the alcohol you are using would have no effect, so I would think the MEK would work.
The outermost layer might be silicon ... it may be my imagination that it was softer the second day. It could simply be the wetness of the alcohol made it a little easier for my knife to pry around the edges. The inner stuff (the cement grit stuff) is definitely impacted by alchohol though. I'll look into MEK, thanks!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One word of caution, the MEK will likely dissolve more than the potting compound, the plastic sleeves around electrolytic capacitors that have the polarity and component values are one example, so I pay close attention as it dissolves of any component values, part number etc.
Of course this is not an issue with a module that has documentation but most of the time the potting compound is also protecting proprietary information, this of course makes it a more rewarding endeavor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks