• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltmeter died

rmj813

Voltmeter CUCV

Anyone know where I can find a new voltmeter for my m1028? The needle inside the gauge just broke off today.... or maybe a place that would repair it?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The standard military 24v gauge will work. Just adapt it using the stock plug.
24v is supplied to the stock 12v voltmeter. A resistor on the back makes it work.

You will have an extremely hard time finding a new stock cucv one. If you do it will be expensive.
Used ones show up on eBay from time to time. Some work, some don't.

The gauge is a sealed unit per say.
You can replace the resistor on the outside, but you can't get inside to repair needle.

A lot of guys just install a 24v military or civilian gauge.

I use the ISSPRO one.
IMG_4236.jpg
Been working like a champ for well over a year now.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a 24V VDO Gauge. The original wires worked with no mods. The light from the original even worked in the new gauge. I checked it with my multi meter. It is accurate. Witch is nice since I've had so many alternator issues lately.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hooks right up.
I spliced mine with the factory plug from the old voltmeter.
Used same light bulb wire
Works perfect.

Been flawless ever since.

GM should have used a 24v meter to begin with.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a ISSPRO voltmeter
Also have a VDO tachometer right next to VM.
Didnt like the look of the VDO VM so I went with the ISSPRO.
Purely personal preference.

Either is an excellent gauge.

nathus

Hi,
I'm new here, so nice that this site exists ;)
Il living in Belgium and have a m1009 ; it looks common here and in my country I think I have the only one :)
Anyway , same problem. My voltmeter is death and I want the orinal one. Or one who is very close and who fits perfectlky in the same place.
Can somebody help me ?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
I'm new here, so nice that this site exists ;)
Il living in Belgium and have a m1009 ; it looks common here and in my country I think I have the only one :)
Anyway , same problem. My voltmeter is death and I want the orinal one. Or one who is very close and who fits perfectlky in the same place.
Can somebody help me ?
You can sometimes find an original on eBay or SS classifieds.
Most ive seen look like hammered junk.

Last time I looked, a seller in Europe had brand new ones for $200 US.
Not worth it for me.

Alternatives have already been discussed in this thread.

Last edited:

nathus

You can sometimes find an original on eBay or SS classifieds.
Most ive seen look like hammered junk.

Last time I looked, a seller in Europe had brand new ones for $200 US.
Not worth it for me.

Alternatives have already been discussed in this thread.
Thank you for your answer !
I have seen the one you suggested. I think these are more easy to find on ebay, don't they ?
But is it the same diameter, fit exactly ?
I don't want to spend 200 usd ofr this.
50 usd max would be fair. A used one is ok also for me...

nathus

Changing the resistor is the cheapest way to go. For a couple of dollars and 30 minutes in labor its a quick fix.
Actually I think mine still works more or less but the needle is not on the right place anymore. It begins a lot below the first zone. So even with contact it doesn't reach the correct zone.
It is also rusted inside the glass :(
Thank for your answer but probably not a solution for me

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your answer !
I have seen the one you suggested. I think these are more easy to find on ebay, don't they ?
But is it the same diameter, fit exactly ?
I don't want to spend 200 usd ofr this.
50 usd max would be fair. A used one is ok also for me...
Yes
Exact fit.

Jake59

Actually I think mine still works more or less but the needle is not on the right place anymore. It begins a lot below the first zone. So even with contact it doesn't reach the correct zone.
It is also rusted inside the glass :(
Thank for your answer but probably not a solution for me

Nathan,

Once again... an old posting... I am so much behind with everything... I guess I'll need to live another 100 years at least to get all I want done!!

I soldered in a variable resistor which I had laying around here to replace the faulty solid resistor on the back of the voltmeter.
After some tweaking I got it right (must cross check with an actual multi meter to assure you have it right!)
To make sure the resistor would not wobble loose with time, I just dipped it in hot glue all around to lock it in place.

... just checked and this resistor is .5W, which apparently is barely sufficient, so we'll see how long it lasts...

See pictures for the result (includes some minor upgrades to instrument panel :cool: )

...and in the event that my voltmeter completely dies on me, always have a back-up plan! ... (see bottom 2 pics)

Cheers,
Jake

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

Hey.. practically everything on my truck is used..man.

So, did some reading here, seems that I could use a 5 w 300 ohm resistor. If one were to use 2 x 150 ohm resistors, are they still 5 w each and are they installed parallel or in series?
Series adds resistance so two 150 ohm in series is 300 ohms. Parallel would make 75 ohms.

Keith_J

This is overkill..digital voltage and current. The current is left alternator output, shunt is series with the negative wire, very safe.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks