• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VP Racing lubricant for trans and T case?

SPO

Hey everyone, I'm going to bring up some old topics that may irritate a few people but curiosity is getting the best of me. I have read all the forms on how 80w-90 GL-5 is bad to run UNLESS it's marked MT-1. Others argue that MT-1 is high in sulfur and will destroy the "yellow metal" parts. I am not looking to start this whole fight again however I'm WONDERING if the VP lube sold at tractor supply would be sufficient or even better for the trans and T-case. It's for older tractors however it looks like it is well suited for older machines with lots of detergents and such, comparable to SAE20 just curious! Could be super dumb but it's done wonder to my old tractors!!

VP Racing Lubricants Ultra J20A Plus Utility Tractor Fluid is formulated from highly refined base stocks and robust additive technology for use in a variety of farm tractors, off-highway construction, logging and industrial equipment, including, skidders, feller bunchers, log splitters, harvesters and loaders. You may be wondering, what is tractor utility fluid? Tractor fluid is engineered for lubrication of final drives, power take-off (PTO) units, wet brakes, power steering units and hydraulic systems. Its viscosity is comparable to a SAE 20 crankcase fluid or an ISO 68 industrial oil for general purpose applications.

• Specially formulated tractor fluid to protect older tractors and hydraulic equipment
  • If you're wondering what is tractor utility fluid, it is made up of advanced detergents to reduce sludge and deposit formation
  • Robust anti-wear additives protect critical system components
  • Formulated with highly refined base oils to resist oxidation and thermal break-down to maximize fluid life
  • Suitable for use in older tractors or equipment requiring the following superseded or obsolete fluid requirements: Allison: C-4; Allis Chalmers: C-3; Case: 134, 145, MS 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1209, 1210; Caterpillar: TO-2; Dresser: HMS B806-0001; Ford: ESN-M2C, 134B, 134C, M2C41-B, M2C134-D, M2C48-B, M2C48-C, M2C159-B/C, M2C86-A/B; Hesston-Fiat: AF-87, Multi-F; John Deere: JD 303, JD J14, JDM J20A; International Harvester: B5; Massey Ferguson: CMS M1110, M1129A, M1127A/B; Oliver: Q-1705; Renk Doromat: 873; White Farm: Q-1705, Q-1722, Q-1766, Q-1766B, Q-1802; Sperry-Vickers: I-286-S, M2950-S; Suitable for use in equipment that recommends the following fluid requirements: Kubota: UDT; Denison: HF-0, HF-2
  • Warning: ULTRA J20A Plus Utility Tractor Fluid is primarily designed for use in older equipment manufactured before 1990 or for aging machinery where frequent fluid replacement is required
  • Always consult original manufacturer's recommendation for proper fluid application
  • Fluid misapplication in late model equipment may cause significant damage
  • 5 gallons

Attachments

rustystud

Hey everyone, I'm going to bring up some old topics that may irritate a few people but curiosity is getting the best of me. I have read all the forms on how 80w-90 GL-5 is bad to run UNLESS it's marked MT-1. Others argue that MT-1 is high in sulfur and will destroy the "yellow metal" parts. I am not looking to start this whole fight again however I'm WONDERING if the VP lube sold at tractor supply would be sufficient or even better for the trans and T-case. It's for older tractors however it looks like it is well suited for older machines with lots of detergents and such, comparable to SAE20 just curious! Could be super dumb but it's done wonder to my old tractors!!

VP Racing Lubricants Ultra J20A Plus Utility Tractor Fluid is formulated from highly refined base stocks and robust additive technology for use in a variety of farm tractors, off-highway construction, logging and industrial equipment, including, skidders, feller bunchers, log splitters, harvesters and loaders. You may be wondering, what is tractor utility fluid? Tractor fluid is engineered for lubrication of final drives, power take-off (PTO) units, wet brakes, power steering units and hydraulic systems. Its viscosity is comparable to a SAE 20 crankcase fluid or an ISO 68 industrial oil for general purpose applications.

• Specially formulated tractor fluid to protect older tractors and hydraulic equipment
  • If you're wondering what is tractor utility fluid, it is made up of advanced detergents to reduce sludge and deposit formation
  • Robust anti-wear additives protect critical system components
  • Formulated with highly refined base oils to resist oxidation and thermal break-down to maximize fluid life
  • Suitable for use in older tractors or equipment requiring the following superseded or obsolete fluid requirements: Allison: C-4; Allis Chalmers: C-3; Case: 134, 145, MS 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1209, 1210; Caterpillar: TO-2; Dresser: HMS B806-0001; Ford: ESN-M2C, 134B, 134C, M2C41-B, M2C134-D, M2C48-B, M2C48-C, M2C159-B/C, M2C86-A/B; Hesston-Fiat: AF-87, Multi-F; John Deere: JD 303, JD J14, JDM J20A; International Harvester: B5; Massey Ferguson: CMS M1110, M1129A, M1127A/B; Oliver: Q-1705; Renk Doromat: 873; White Farm: Q-1705, Q-1722, Q-1766, Q-1766B, Q-1802; Sperry-Vickers: I-286-S, M2950-S; Suitable for use in equipment that recommends the following fluid requirements: Kubota: UDT; Denison: HF-0, HF-2
  • Warning: ULTRA J20A Plus Utility Tractor Fluid is primarily designed for use in older equipment manufactured before 1990 or for aging machinery where frequent fluid replacement is required
  • Always consult original manufacturer's recommendation for proper fluid application
  • Fluid misapplication in late model equipment may cause significant damage
  • 5 gallons
Is this a question or an advertisement ?
Also a 20W oil is too thin for our machines. You need at least a good 50W gear oil or your going to start loosing bearings and teeth off gears. If you noticed all the "recommendations" , they are for old "slow" moving tractors not vehicles that go on the freeways.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm WONDERING if the VP lube sold at tractor supply would be sufficient or even better for the trans and T-case.
To me that seems to be an oil for hydraulics and not so much for mechanical transmissions.

For your part of the world (and climate) any known brand SAE 80W-90 mineral gear oil will work fine. And don't worry so much about your "yellow metals"...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You get what you pay for, J20A is the “next” cheap thing since 303 fluid was sued off the market several years ago. The only thing I use if for is short, light use flushes of very dirty systems, before going to high dollar modern OEM specd fluid.

SPO

Thanks guys I was just curious, and no this post was definitely not intended to be any sort of advertisement. I run this stuff in a few of my old tractor transmissions and it's really taken some of the rattley noises away. I recently serviced my transmission and T case and read that GL-5 gear oil that was MT-1 rated was good.... than after I served them I started seeing the other side of the argument on how its bad🤦‍♂️ either way its done and I'm just going to stick with the 80w-90 GL-5 for awhile I guess because its already in there🤷

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks