• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vw Iltis

popz76

Here's the only picture I can find of my old 1979 Vw Iltis..and THAT"S only because a good friend of mine took it at a Halloweenie Parade a few yrs back and just now sent it to me. The guy I bought it from had painted it up to look like a Canuk Bombardier, so when I got it I restored it back to the Bundeswher era,kept it a couple of yrs then sold it to a gent out west..Arizona..Nevada, I can't remember, anyone know of one of these out that way? I'd like to see what it looks like nowadays !

Attachments

Crapgame

I've got an 84 Bombardier Iltis, came from a Dr couple back in NJ. Doesn't quite fit into any catagory here, though. I did her up in the Command and Recce version, scratch built a Belgian-style GPMG Mount Kit for the co-driver, airsoft FN MAG58 on a GI soft mount.

Attachments

popz76

I do not know if the (Canadian) vehicles are eligible to import yet.. the German vehicle I had was imported some yrs ago along with only a very few others.. I do not believe there are too many in the US at this time.

B3.3T

25 years old is the rule, but Bombardiers have been in the States for many years. A friend had one in 06. There's a will, there's a way.

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Iltis is a great little 4X4. I worked on them from the day we received them in the CF till we got rid of them. Easy to work on and pretty reliable. I would like to get my hands on one to restore to former glory.

ErnieL

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's great to see these being restored and used.

Personally, I caught the very first couple of years of these things, and I have VERY bad memories and feelings regarding them. We seemed to spend more time digging them out of stuff that the Jeeps didn't even look twice at, and more time pushing them off the roads than we did actually using them. I know the Germans loved theirs, but ours were a true GPOS.

I just bought two Iltis, and have many questions to ask. First, I understand there is a sort of key to turn under the dash. can someone please post pictures of this "key" and where it is located? I was digging the dirt and mouse nests out and found some parts and a weird sort of key. I will post up some pictures when I get them ready.

B3.3T

I have owned three. The reliability was good and they were fun to drive and easy to work on but for serious off-road, the approach angles were terrible and we beat them to death.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks