• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

W400 1977 USAF Maint truck

2dogsafightin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just purchased this truck. It started life as an Air Force blue. Still has the tower light signals sticker on the dash...Like most of these trucks it has ended up RED at some point in its journey..... Currently OD green, CARC maybe, I cant tell for sure. Its a 360, automatic on the steering coulm, full time four wheel drive, 12 volt. It has a shifter on the hump... high, high lock, neutral, low and low lock. It also has what appears to me to be a factory PTO winch. there is an orange pull knob on the left side of the steering colum. This engages the pto drive for the winch. my problem is I cant figure out how to make the winch feed in or out?? The whole thing is very stiff from lack of use. I just need to know how its supposed to work...Any help and advice greatly appreciated. THANKS, 2dogs

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pics of your new ride? Since it's and auto trans, the PTO is off the case the tranny willnrun winch direction just like Bob said.

2dogsafightin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANKS for the replys.....So let me see if I got this right.......Put the hump t-case shifter in neutral to disable power to the tires... RIGHT??? Then pull out on the orange PTO knob...This starts the PTO drive shaft turning.....Put trans in drive to reel in cable, and reverse to pay out cable....?? RIGHT???? As far as picts go Im kind of "digitally challenged" so Ill have to get wifey to help.... Needless to say she is no as happy with my new toy as I am...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks