• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to add mech. oil gauge & keep elec. gauge

cjkeeliii

I have searched the archives and can't find how to add a "T" fitting to the elec. oil sending unit so I can have both mech. and elec. gauges. Any body know how to do this? Thanks and sorry if this has already been covered.

superburban

This mod is easier said than done. The sending unit is in a PITA location, at the back of the engine, smashed between the left side head and the firewall. There's not much room to work, but you can unscrew the electric sending unit (a little can with a single wire coming out of it), and install a little 1/8" (I think, correct me if I am wrong) NPT tee. Reinstall the little can on one side and the mechanical sender on the other side.

Another option, if your truck has had a newer engine (post 92) installed, you can just tap into the turbo supply oil supply port. This is located on the front of the engine block, right in front of the passenger head. All of the 6.2s and 6.5s manufactured after 92 had this port, even the NA versions, so it might be worth it too you to look for the telltale plug there. You would simply have to unscrew the plug and install the mechanical sending unit there (assuming your engine has one, of course).

If you have a pre 92 engine, you will have to swear and skin your knuckles on the back of the engine.

Rebelpride

Ya need to go to a hydraulic supply house and request a 'T' fitting that is 1/4" male pipe on one end
and 1/4" female pipe on the middle and other end. Then you remove the air cleaner(and I then covered the intake hole with a piece of cardboard, about a 6x6 square poke hole with the studs and slide it down). Then carefully remove the sensor AND the 45^ elbow. Then what I did was put red loctite on the threads of the 'T' and screw it in until it feels tight enough and the holes are located where you want them.(dont over tighten or you will strip threads). Then add loctite to the 45^ fitting and screw it into the top hole and tighten it till it is tight and located where you can put the sensor back in(dont put loctite on the sensor). Then in the 'T' hole put your bushing and tubing. Then hook the rest up according to the instructions. You will need a 1-1/16" socket or so to remove the sensor. And to make the job a little more comfortable I layed a 3/4" thick X 12" wide X 4ft long piece of plywood across the compartment so you can lay on your stomach and work fairly comfortable. Take your time and maybe do a dry run first.

cjkeeliii

Thanks guys. I'm about to tow a small camper trailer and wanted to add oil and temp. gauges to keep track of what's going on up there. I already found a link on how to install a temp. gauge.