• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

warn m1500winch

ajg6989

Anybody think it would pay to add a 24vdc warn 15,000lb single line pull winch to the deuce Saturn surplus has the extension brackets for the frame but what about the top part of the extension that is part of the side of the winch anyone have any pictures of the brackets installed

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The batteries can handle it alright, but for what length of time depends on the amp-hr rating and the internal resistance of the batteries (=state of charge).
I'd say for the standard 6TL batts, 15 to 20 minutes or so.

You will need some heavy cables for sure.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Electric winch will be easier to use than a PTO driven one .Does it come with a remote?.

Electrical load not much different than your starter.With engine running the bats will hold up .I'd suggest using arc welding cable.It's fine stands allow for tight bends and the insulation is quite thick.Weld shops sell it off the roll so various gauge and any length is available.When their rolls get low they may cut you a deal.It is hard for them to sell shorts.They may have some around.

I'm surprised more don't use the elec winch with the cost of a used PTO set up around a grand.The only down side may be less desirable than original from a restoration point of view(maybe less effective battering ram too??).

You should able to recover costs when you sell so it is like having one free.

Let us know what you do.

JimK

ajg6989

well it comes with 7/16" cable 90' long. They have a battery connection kit with 4 gauge wire. would have to buy a 30'000lb capacity snatch block. and remote 12' comes standard

rizzo

ajg6989 said:
well it comes with 7/16" cable 90' long. They have a battery connection kit with 4 gauge wire. would have to buy a 30'000lb capacity snatch block. and remote 12' comes standard
how much?

ajg6989

for 24vdc is $1500 but found orginals deuce winches for $1250 from eastern surplus with pto and frame extensions. would be nice to have orginal and hidden mount the electric maybe in the rear under the fram

Have you really checked on the true capacity of the electric winch? Most are not capable of making rate and the few that do will only do it for a few minutes....once. Someone on here posted some winch testing some time ago, the results were very interesting, read as disappointing. Original equipment winches will meet performance specifications.

yeager1

Electric winches are not very durable at all for heavy use. My brother and I burned up his top of the line Warn 9500 lbs winch that had only been used twice before for light pulls on a 3800 jeep. The pull that killed it was up a 20' 40 degree hill, we made it most of the way before it burned up. Personally I have used electric and PTOs quite a bit and would take an electirc for emergency use only (on a duece a snatch block would be mandatory even for the lightest pulls) due to the light weight and compactness and a PTO for everything else. A PTO will pull at rated capacity all day long, the electric is probably best for VERY short pulls only. With a duece and a snatch block I still wouldn't pull hard for more then 20+ feet without letting it cool. I'm not against electrics, but beware for heavy or frequent use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks