• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was broke down in Regina, Saskatchewan

firedupsdriver

I was on my way to the alcan convoy from ohio with my 1962 m151 I drove it 1500 miles until a coil went out and was out. I contacted a supplier to get me a coil sent to me it would take 5 days [long weekend in canada] the supplier called alot of resources and gave me of all thing a phone number in Regina, Saskatchewan he said he found a guy that lives here that helps to people with military vehicles. I called the number he gave me and ed answered and I told him what was going on he told me he would be there in 30 minutes.Ed W. picked me up and drove me around looking where to find a 24 volt coil when he called robin and asked him did he have extra ciols for m151. within 2 hours in the middle of Canada there were two coils that Robin L. pulled out of his personal m151 to see if that would get me up and running.there were some smaller problems with my 50 year old m151 went to robins farm and in his garage fixed the other small things.Ed and Robin L. had me all squared away with a room and a much needed shower[5 days of driving] You do not see or here of that these days what is the chances of driving a 1962 m151 1500 miles and running into a family that was so generous. this would not of happened without the help of a person[ ED W.] that I called form a forum like this that knew people in the hobbies like the one we are in..I do have two new 24v coils that are going to Robins home to replace the one I used. the people that read this will know ED W. and :driver::driver::driver::driver:Robin L. and where they live from there generosity that they showed me.:driver:

Last edited by a moderator:

seano11

Eddie had lunch with us on our trip up and helped us fix a few small problems. He also had a room for me and my wife If needed but we decided to push on. He's a dieing type that's for sure

dmetalmiki

woahh..just reading this post brought a "humble tear" here.....Great people those two <So, Edie and Robbin have my SINCERE and heartfelt congratulations right there>
And you (also) deserve and "win a cookie" for contemplating planning and committing to a trip like that!
I went (also went on an Epic tric!! today) 2 1/2 miles to a local country show I recieved late info on and was warmly invited even though I arrived about 1pm staying for about 3 hours. and they (the organizers) still awarded me a plaque. I allways try to support local events.
I was in the wrecker with only Murphy for company (as it woud not start time to go..OOops..now what OK here comes a tractor to pull star me..(that won't do it mutter some locals!..AHA! but here comes ANOTHER tractor..and the two of them pull start me after the usual 1.654 feet with a multifuel!. Would have liked to post a video of that scenario but only "BRICK nokias and the like" present.
I would rather like to see a long write up with pictures and vids of :driver:the whole 1500 mile adventure , Any chance?

firedupsdriver

I was two day behind in leaving to get to the alcal convoy [2300 mi.from home to start a 4100 mi. alcan trip ] to stop a take pictures and doing 400 to 500 a day, robin has some pictures and some video of us getting back up and running,once I was running again I was not thinking clearly ed and ed,robin set me where I headed back southeast home where it was a good thing 3028 miles before the voltage regulator gave out 260 miles from home,260 mi. from home is better that 3000 mi. in the middle of canada without an extra coil,cap,rotor,volt reg. and a aaa membership

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How could anyone not give help to someone with the stones to try to drive a MUTT on a 10,000 mile trip. I am only sorry he only made it the 1600 miles here. I am glad he made it home OK. I did not do much as I have a few MVs but do not own a MUTT so got him in touch with Litz(Robin) who along with our electical guru Jim Pratt did most of the helping for John. I have been helped by others when out in the boonys and needed it. I have been helped by others on this site with answers and help and Warthog even sent me some parts for free to help finish one of my WW2 units right. I would hope everyone here would reach out to help one of the brothers if he needed it.

Eddy from the Great White North.

P.S. John come back some time for the greatest fishing and hunting in the world.

charlietango

Ed is a good cat indeed. We had some roaring fun at an old brick mfg plant down in Saskatchewan. That Jeep Commander and my CUCV in the pouring rain on clay hills. Then his **** battery cable flew off hahaha . If the rain and the wet clay weren't enough we got her back going and out of there... I also got the opportunity to drive his halftrack that day. Ed give me a call man! I was the young guy with the Deuce and the CUCV. You opened your RV to us drowned rats and allowed us to help you eat those steaks lol

firedupsdriver

broken down in Regina, Saskatchewan

Ed is a good cat indeed. We had some roaring fun at an old brick mfg plant down in Saskatchewan. That Jeep Commander and my CUCV in the pouring rain on clay hills. Then his **** battery cable flew off hahaha . If the rain and the wet clay weren't enough we got her back going and out of there... I also got the opportunity to drive his halftrack that day. Ed give me a call man! I was the young guy with the Deuce and the CUCV. You opened your RV to us drowned rats and allowed us to help you eat those steaks lol

ed did not show up that day & take me around the town looking for parts & found me a great family to stay with when broken down [on the road 5 days], I would still be pushing my m151 the 1640 miles back home.

he puts on the posts: eddy from the great white north.

should read:: eddy the great from white north.

firedupsdriver

Hello all. Eddie im new to the page and also located in Regina&#55357;&#56396;
Ed and Robin are very generous people that I can tell you from there generosity given to me.1200 miles away from home and in a different country,feed me,bed, sleep,garage[to fix m151],shower [and a tour of the backyard] I would say very generous.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Good deal. I will say that this site is full of very good kind hearted people. I met a member on a recent breakdown in Montgomery. Had never spoke to him and he came and took me to get what I needed all over. I even had another member willing to drive 300miles to help. Not very many good communities such as this.

Maple Leaf Eh

That is a heart warming story. I'd like to elevate the talk about friendliness one notch. When the US closed its airspace on that bright sunny Tuesday 15 years ago, where did the airlines send their trans Atlantic flights? To Gander, Newfoundland. For days the kind and decent small town folk of central Newfoundland, funny accents and all, gave their "Plane People" whatever they could for as long as needed. It is what has to be done.

I live in Saskatchewan from 92 to 98, and have absolutely nothing but fond memories. And, as part of my job I recruited some of the absolutely best young men and women I have EVER encountered across Canada.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks