• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

was "deuce T/C ?s" nowRear Lockout and Axle Design

rdixiemiller

Thanks for the input guys! The only reason we were worried about tapping a bushing into the spindle is that the inner section is not machined. Kenny was concerned that it might not be true with the OD of the spindle.
Instead of heading for the bottle jack, maybe you could mount an air over hydraulic jack to the frame just like the indy cars use? Boy, wouldn't that be fun to keep working! But if it was set up right..... You could hook up an air line to the glad hand, raise the axle enough to take the pressure off and unlock.
Maybe just a bit too complicated, K.I.S.S.
Regards to all
Robert Miller

spicergear

I got my Selectros from our dear friend Daniel. He had the best price. ...'course mine were screwed up and didn't fit ... but he had the best price by a decent amount. Selectros like to be against a nice pack of grease and they'll survive. If need be a grease fitting could be installed right before it on the hub or even the Selectro Spacer if the spacer is used/needed for the rear.

rdixiemiller

I can remember some old Warn hubs that had been drilled for grease fittings. This was on some old CJ's that saw a good bit of salt water use where I grew up in NW Fla. Most of the old beach jeeps did not have brakes, long since rusted away. The owners would shoot a good slug of grease in the hubs every time they had been in the water, kept front wheel bearings from going to pieces.
Regards to all
Robert Miller

spicergear

This is what I emailed to Moser Engineering:

"Subject: Simple double spline axle question

Can you please price for me an axle that is:
- 41.675" long
- 1.632" spline diameter, 16 spline
- 3" of spline on each end of the axle shaft.

This is simply a double ended, same spline, shaft.

Please reply with price and availability.

THANKS!!!

Tom L"

They got back to me today with this:

"Hello,

A double spline shaft -- $155.00 / each.
We operate on a 2 day turnaround.

Thank you,
Ernie Stevens
Moser Engineering
The Leader in Hi-Performance Rear-End Components"

So that's $310, order Monday have it Friday then save for Selectros. ?? Now the real question...is it worth $800 to unlock the rear?

rdixiemiller

Damn! That is not a bad price! I was looking at a $250 cutter and a $60 blank. Not to mention about 4 hrs on the old mill. I don't really see how I could beat that price by much, and I couldn't beat the turn around time at all.
You would only need 1 axle, there is really no need to unlock both. Kenny and several others go everywhere with one axle pulled. So, is it worth $400? If I was pulling the axle all the time, yes.
If it is not againt list rules, please post the contact info for Moser. To all who have expressed interest and contributed opinions and effort, Thanks!
I would probably order an axle, and try it with a front drive flange, and a desplined one. That is something that the road warriors already have on hand (Kenny, et.al)
I will definately get one when I can get a deuce. I am currently watching several that end tomorrow on GS.
Regards To All
Robert Miller

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats, not bad at all. When I last contacted them 3 or 4 years ago, the length was in issue. Guess it's not now! So at $155 and maybe $20 shipping plus $275 for a single hub if you can get a buddy to split a set puts it at around $450. I would take a long time to recoupe the expense in fuel mileage but is well worth it to eliminate the massive tire wear that goes on. Now add the $450 for the rear and $550 for the front Selectros puts it a a grand a truck. Thats a lotta jack to put into a deuce.

rdixiemiller

Yeah, a grand is a lot. But, if the truck is what you enjoy driving, then do it! I tell you what: anyone has a deuce they want to give away, I'll take it and get the hubs! It would still make sense to use the axle and the desplined flange in the rear. Quicker and easier than pulling an axle.
Kenny
Did a long axle ever show up? I would still like to see what I can do. I may grind a fly cutter on my tool grinder just to do an axle or 2. If I can turn the knuckle off of a long front, it could still be a cost savings. If you can get one, let me know. I will send you my UPS account number and let you send it up. You might still get an axle to try.
Regards
Robert Miller

spicergear

Hey Mr. Miller, I've got another idea for you to try since you've got you're diamond wheel fired up for tool sharpening. Take one stock rear axle shaft, instead of cutting off the flanged end, turn it down to outside of spline size, then cut what splines you can into what is left. You might be able to get an inch or so of spline length cut into that area depending on it's thickness. That may be the cheapest yet! Net entirely the strongest, but again...it's not going to be in a rear with a Detroit to really put the stomp onto just those freshly cut splines. There would be enough to engage a front drive flange. Might even work!

Desert Rat

Guys,
Thanks for all the info. For me 1k is worth it (once I have the money) because 'Storm IS the truck I want to use more often. Allowing her to work with less wear, to me, is worth it. She'll me my work/fun/play truck I plan to give to Nick when it's my time to pass on. She's older than any other truck I've owned with good reason - she's overengineered. I just want to thank you all for your ideas. Robert, I'm serious about driving her down and doing some bartering if you are interested. Let me know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still no long side yet. I have a feeling it will show up soon as the guy I'm getting it from really wants the Detroit locker I have. I'll let you know when it arrives Robert.

Attachments

rdixiemiller

Spicer
You are right, I would have some extra room there. I could put a split collar on the axle shaft to pull it slightly out of the side gear as well, that way I could split the differance between the 2 sets of splines.
Hmmmm..... More things to try!
Kenny, thanks! let me know when it arrives.
Sand Rat- when I get something together, I will definately let you know. Once we get one truck together, we will be able to evaluate things.
Regards
Robert

Desert Rat

Robert,
Not a problem. I'll keep an eye out here and be ready when you are, weather and Masters degree permitting.

rdixiemiller

Not a bad price for a new, stock item axle. The fact that it is the correct length for the front flange to work also means it would work with a locking hub.
Regards To All
Robert Miller

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks