• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Washington - North Dakota

RetiredNavy

Jeremy, I haul a set of gas trains or propane bottle hooked to a sleeper unit. I gave up long haul in reefers many years ago. Did a little bit of flatbed when I was in Iraq. How big of a item are you talking about anyway (never mind, I just seen it)? I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 (gasser) longbed if that is any help. Shoot a pm with the details.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Just a crate 6' x 2' ish and a tow bar. It's in WA...but a drop off in Billings is better than nothing. I was going to PM you if someone offered, to get permission first. Billings is 8+ hrs from here, that's a weekend.

RetiredNavy

Get it to Billings and we can split the difference distance wise that is. My days off are Friday and Saturday. Trail Star truck stop in Glendive or the weigh station place south of Sidney???

feezy

well you may be in luck, I just got a deuce in Renton WA, and I'm looking to pick up and drive it to Bismarck, ND somewhere around the 10th of august (if my leave gets approved) so I should have room for it, if your willing to wait a bit longer, although not sure where in WA you are or where in ND your going. but let me know, maybe we can work something out.

Jamie
864-335-8980

Bighurt

well you may be in luck, I just got a deuce in Renton WA, and I'm looking to pick up and drive it to Bismarck, ND somewhere around the 10th of august (if my leave gets approved) so I should have room for it, if your willing to wait a bit longer, although not sure where in WA you are or where in ND your going. but let me know, maybe we can work something out.

Jamie
864-335-8980
Package is in Kennewick, WA, I'm in Minot. I can wait awhile, not sure how long the guy in Kennewick, WA will hold it though...I don't know him.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BigHurt and Feezy.....

Its me- quarkz---Scott tricked me into babysitting your goods.

I have your packages here in Kennewick. They are safe. Living in the the back of one of the tarped trucks. No hurries Bighurt.
When I need the space I will just drag into the back of another one.
These MVs make great mobile storage and it is a good thing one guy can't drive 12 trucks at the same time.

Feezy, depending on when you were blowing thru my area you could have a stop here in Kennewick. Or I could possibly meet you in Ritzville, it is where 395 and I-90 meet, halfway between Kennewick, and Spokane. The Kennewick detour would add 1.5 hours to your trip.

I concur with the other thread that HWY 12 although beautiful wouldn't be the best route unless you are on a very lax timetable. The route on bighurts map is how I would travel.
Better to have people see you or have fuel & services near by if Murphy decides to show his head.

feezy

Quarkz;

I'd prefer if we could meet around ritzville like you said, that could at least keep me on or near the interstate if it's not too much of a problem for you, I am on a bit of a time/gas crunch getting to ND, and i'm allready figuring on about 2 days driving, but I should be through your area on or about the 10th of august, if that works for you ?

Jamie

Bighurt

Feezy, your not going to Bismarck for recruiting duty are you? Rota is a Navy base. What is your rate?
The way I read it was his assignment was to CA, but he's keeping the truck with family in the Bismarck area.

Just as well, CA is no place to raise an MV collection. LOL

feezy

Retired Navy,
No recruiting, just going to Bismarck for leave, most of my family has moved south from alaska to north dakota over the years, so I figured while I was already back in the states for a TLAM confrence, I'd go up and visit for a few days before returning to spain, just so happens I got this deuce and the shipping fell through on it, so I can just pop up to WA and drive it there, park it on my aunt's ranch until I rotate back stateside in a couple years.

As far as rate goes, I'm an AO1 (crossed fingers, hopefully an AOC in a couple months, maybe my 4th time will be the charm?)But, right now I'm at over at station weapons here in Rota, although most of my career has been in F-18 squadrons, VFA-94 at NAS Lemoore, CA and VFA-86 at MCAS Beaufort, SC (which was the best place I've been stationed, too bad they transfered all the navy out of there, or I'd go back after my tour here ends),.. and an AIMD tour at NAS Jax, FL in the middle there...

What about you, whats your service background, hows retirement treating you?

R/

Jamie

RetiredNavy

Thanks for the clarification. Dont know what I was thinking. My rate was ABH1 (Aviation Boatswain Mate) Flight Deck firefighter- aircraft director. Spent 19 years in and did take the Chiefs test maybe 3 to 4 times, but no go on the selection boards. Spent my career on 3 carriers and one squadron (VFP-63, NAS Miramar). Retirements fine and been driving truck since 96. It pays the bills. Jamie, thats my life story. Thanks for straightening me out!

feezy

Retired navy,
I came in in 99, so I'm about 13 years in right now, sometimes I wish retirement would just hurry up and get here, sometimes it seems like I was just getting out of boot yesterday and where did the time go.

what boats were you on?, I did cruises on the carl vinson, nimitz x2 and the enterprise.

Of course I was a squadron guy, so I've had a few run in with yellow shirts over the years
(not all of them good), I.E:
"for F*** sakes when am i getting my pull forward ?", "why can't I park my skid here? , "I was here first, tell the grapes they can go F*** off and come back later", "I'm almost one with my maint, can you wait 5 minutes before moving the jet, no,..so I have to get off it now, but you won't have a tractor here for another 20 mins?" .. ECT ECT,

of course I'm sure you probably have some ordies you wanted to strangle over the years, so it all evens out,.. like a big dysfunctional family up there...

looking back on it now, I get a laugh out of it, but a couple months into cruise, man sometimes your ready to throw down over some of that stuff..I've even seen a shop on shop brawl on the flight deck. But I tell you, one of the big things that makes a good or bad cruise/det is the FLY 1,2,3 crews on the roof,..
so thanks for your service man,

Jamie

RetiredNavy

Jamie, did a tour and numerous deployments on the Midway, Constellation, Kitty Hawk (squadron) and the Abraham Lincoln. Man, I know exactly what your talking about in trying to get maint done and the deck crew takes their time. I did the same thing when I was on night check in Fly 3. F-14 folks get kind of peod at you when they have to wait, but............it all came out in the wash. Hang tough, your over the hump.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bighurt,
Angus mentioned he was going to try and pickup your parts from me prior to freezy's trip.
Since I am attending the Napavine Rally in a couple weeks I suggested I just bring the parts back to the west side at that time and meet Angus around the rally and save him a trip.
I wanted to bounce this off of you prior to doing it as it is your parts. Then Angus will have them loaded in Freezy's deuce when he picks it up.

How say you???

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:
Angus and I were not able to meet up around the PNW rally.
So your parts are still with me back in the Kennewick.
I will try to meet up with Feezy when he passes thru Eastern WA, Aug 10th, on his trip to the Dakota's...

Feezy,

So...
Aug. 10th in Ritzville sounds good for me.
I need at least a 2 hour heads up, in order to meet you there on time.
I will PM you my contact info.
TOny

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it is a couple days late.
But I met Jamie in Vantage, WA on Friday Aug. 10th around 14:30 and loaded your cargo on board his deuce.
Very nice truck. Looked like it had all the bells and whistlers.
Jamie seemed a little bit heat sick. It was a hot dry day in the luxury of a M35A2.
So we put some electrolyte and Tylenol in him and then parted ways.
Hopefully Jeremy will put in an update after he blows thru his area on his 1200 mile trip.

Bighurt

Got my stuff early this afternoon. Looks like he's sleeping of the trip nicely at his Aunt's place somewhere north of Bismarck.

Not sure when he's leaving but he did, mention he was headed to Troy's in SD.

Really appreciate the lift home for my goodies.

feezy

Well this post is a couple days late,.. But the trip went pretty well, slow and uncomfortable as to be expected but the deuce made the nearly 1300 mile drive without any problems, I did develope a leaky front left axel seal, which worried me a bit, but if it's not leaking it's empty.. at least thats how it works in the airplane world,..

So, after picking up the truck and a 101 trailer the night I flew in to seattle, I had planned on leaving the next morning which turned in to the next afternoon, so around 1100 on the 10th I departed the seattle area, .. went up HWY 18 where I picked up I-90 E,.. must have just missed the lunch crowd as traffic wasn't bad,.. The interstate wasn't bad, although I was down to around 34 MPH going over snoqualmie pass (and most off the mountain ranges along the way).

stopped and picked up some more parts to bring east with me around Vantage, WA and by this time my head was pounding and I thought,. god is this entire drive going to be like this,? then found a box of ear plugs in the glove box and man what a difference, couple that with some tylonal and gatorade and we were off again and feeling much better.

Stopped in Missoula, MT late that night and dropped off the trailer,.. had a good bullshi##t'n session for a couple hours and then back on the road,.. made it about another 50 miles till I had to grab some sleep at a rest area. Woke up the next morning and holy crap,. the VFW was selling breakfast !!, so I talked to the guys for a bit, had a couple cups of freshly brewed "go-juice" and some eats,... and on the road again, another day long drive ahead of me!

This time I got as far as the north dakota border, ( holy crap is montana a long state!) but I kept telling myself, gotta get to the border and then I'll sleep,.. well the border was foggy and I wasn't super tired so the fog finally lifted around dickinson, ND. Stopped for gas and energy drinks, and looked at the map,.. 100-ish miles to Bismarck, my destination was in sight!!

So with double shot expresso and a pack of smokes in hand,.. I made the last leg and finally got into bismarck around 0430 on the 12th. Almost 2 full days after I left,.. Although it was slow and at times painfull, it was fun and definatly an experiance to say the least. So All in all I spent around $600 on gas and snacks, stopped about a dozen times as the fuel guage doesn't work,.. so I had to check the level and keep topping off,...

But I did meet some really cool and helpful people along the way, so many thanks to: Joe Maxwell, Nolan Mortensen, Tony (Quarkz), Kurt Schmidt, Keith West and Jeremy (Bighurt), so to all of you thanks again, for both the patience and the hospitality and everything else...

I wish i could have taken some pictures along the way, the drive was absolutely beautiful, but unfortunatly I left it in spain in my hurry to pack... so my parting words from this adventure, if you ever get the chance, do the drive, just do it in something other than a deuce !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks