• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water pump rebuild kit

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My water pump went out today. I was letting the truck warm up before heading out and noticed a rattle toward the front of the engine. I opened the hood to find the fan wobbling badly. I shut it down before the fan ate the radiator. The shaft has about a half inch of side to side free play but believe it or not, it wasn't leaking a drop.

Does anybody know if you can get rebuild kits for the multifuel water pump? I was going to buy one of the $100 water pumps listed in the classifieds but thought I'd see if anyone knew of a kit before I bought a whole pump.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find a kit, lemme know. I'd rebuild them all day long.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty I don't have your answer, but I suggest you may find it useful to press the pump apart and identify the bearing and seal pieces for future reference.

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do Rick.

Alot of water pumps use the same bearings and shaft, even between manufacturers. I may go ahead and buy the complete pump because I need the truck up and running fairly quick but I'm still going to try and find the correct rebuild parts if I can.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Hey guys

Did anything ever come of the water pump rebuild? I'm not having any luck finding info on how to do it, and I'm in real need of my pump being rebuilt.

Can anyone help a girl out?:wink:

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Gentlemen,

My great thanks to you both. I think a new unit may be the only option I have. It doesn't look like there is any info on rebuild kits, not that my computer skills are any good.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shut it down before the fan ate the radiator.
The danger of the fan taking out the rad is one reason why I replaced the steel fan with a plastic one from Summit Racing. The blades can be trimmed to fit with scissors, it moves a lot of air and is easier on the water pump bearings than the heavy steel fan.

DavidWymore

@cattlerepairman Linky?

I had a fan eat the radiator on my '62. I noticed recently on my dropside that the clevis that attaches the radiator to the front of the block is adjusted too far in, putting the radiator dangerously close to the fan. Delicate balance between that and the hood latch catching the front of the radiator it seems.

Dropside water pump is wobbly, noisy, but not leaking. Reckon I will attempt to disassemble and replace bearing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks