• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 title VIN #

boondocker1943

First off, hi everybody, I'm new to this MV life style. I have been looking for a WC 51 or 52 for a little while and came across one last week. The owner emailed me a copy of the title and I was curious about the VIN #. Was wondering if anybody could give me some info on this please. the # is 2288758 or point me in the right direction where I could look it up. I am getting so hooked on owning a WW2 WC. Much thanks for all your help. Dean

snowdad

Congratulations on your find. I really enjoy mine. The number should start with either 815*****, 816*****, or 817*****. The number will be on the left front (Driver's side) frame rail between the bumper gussett and the shock. Let me know if you need anything else on this vehicle. Be glad to help.
Phillip

CatMan

WC-51 Title VIN #

Dean,

The 2288758 looks like the original USA registration number that would have been on the hood. When surplus vehicles entered private hands, there was that number in big 4 inch letters on the hood. My guess is that was how it got on the title. No one knew where to find the correct number on the frame. Great historical information that is missing from repainting hoods. But for a collector its a great bit of history, but not the vehicle serial number.

Snow dad is correct the vehicle serial number should start with 817XXXXX for a late war truck. The stamping is on the left frame rail. It may be very light.

You can get it corrected in most states with an on-sight inspection by a law enforcement officer. You'll have to document everything and show them the charts from the Dodge manuals that show the numbering sequence. Then point out the correct numbers on the frame. Since it has a "valid" title, the current owner should be the one to have the paperwork corrected before you buy it.

I had the same issue on our 1/2 Ton WC21 and had to go thru the process in two states twice before it was corrected.

Cat Man

boondocker1943

Hi Snowdad, I went back to take some more pix of the vehicle, but I could not find any #'s that start with 815, 816, or 817 one # looks to be the serial # that is on the title and on the data plate on the glove box door #2288759 one looks like 2263-51-323 or 8 and lastly 4?1-00. I haven't figured out how to download pix from the iphone to comp. yet when I do I'll post pix. Also, it has a steel bed and wood sides on the cargo box, should the bed be wood also? thanks for all your help Dean

FrankUSMC

On the serial number on the frame, I just uncovered mine this week on my WC52. It will take some scrapping and a wire brush, it took me awhile to find the number. Remember, it is under 70 years of paint.
I have seen (been collecting WWII vehicles for over 30 years) the frame number, the military vehicle number, and the engine block number on the titles. I just brought in a very nice M37, that looks like they used the vehicle stock number on the data plate to put on the title. My state inspector is helping me get that one unscrewed.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks