• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-something and roadside "burial?" piles , Bavaria, early 1946

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one of my dad's ETO pics.. They were heading out somewhere , from Garmisch ...

20240223_160620.jpg

Below pic is noted as the site of an encounter the 4th Armor Div had the year prior.. I have to wonder what is buried under all those dirt piles along the road.. (horses? wagons?).. Anything steel would've already been hauled off.. Most of the writing (including town name) is very faded and illegible , but it's near Munich .. To him, that meant anywhere between 10km and 100km

20240223_160414.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Under the piles? I would say its just piles of limbs and stuff like that. The Population, after the war, was hard pressed for work. And several million refugees were also plopped on the door step here. So land owners had cheap laborers. The forests looked like a golf course for several decades after the war, and still do to this day. People worked for food, and they cleaned up the forest. When trees are felled, its custamery to pile the sawed off brances just like this, next to the dirt roads.

Break!!

The below link will take you to a web page where you can look at air photos. You can adjust the years, and see how places changed from over the years. Dial in the old places your father was at, and then you can maybe also see things you want to find out about.

https://www.ldbv.bayern.de/vermessung/luftbilder/recherchestation.html?fbclid=IwAR2lo6U0urdde7uKmFVyr7R8vzJaJ4WiBRISHhP-h-DBEqTboT-ZECmu65

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Under the piles? I would say its just piles of limbs and stuff like that.
looked like dirt to me, you must have better eyes ! I am stubborn and have refused bi-focals and a magnifying glass for years now :D

thanks for the link ! will check it out .. the age-progression will be cool .. I know enough of the language to be able to negotiate the website (and get my face slapped or into other kinds of trouble, mein Fräulein)

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Under the piles? I would say its just piles of limbs and stuff like that. The Population, after the war, was hard pressed for work. And several million refugees were also plopped on the door step here. So land owners had cheap laborers. The forests looked like a golf course for several decades after the war, and still do to this day. People worked for food, and they cleaned up the forest. When trees are felled, its custamery to pile the sawed off brances just like this, next to the dirt roads.

Break!!

The below link will take you to a web page where you can look at air photos. You can adjust the years, and see how places changed from over the years. Dial in the old places your father was at, and then you can maybe also see things you want to find out about.
https://www.ldbv.bayern.de/vermessu...7uKmFVyr7R8vzJaJ4WiBRISHhP-h-DBEqTboT-ZECmu65
Well, I gave up. On the link. It works - kinda. I was able to scroll left and right. Was able to see dates. I clicked on several dozen and got nothing. I managed to get several with a red exclamation in them. Never really SAW anything - picture related.

Maybe I need to try a different browser...

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.Well, I gave up. On the link. It works - kinda. I was able to scroll left and right. Was able to see dates. I clicked on several dozen and got nothing. I managed to get several with a red exclamation in them. Never really SAW anything - picture related.
Maybe I need to try a different browser...
It's working for me... You click on the date circles , in my case I am looking at 1940-1948 period and got RAF and USAAF aerial photos. Did you select "orthophoto" ? I am using the site in German , i did not look for a different language selection .. Also, while in photo mode, if you zoom in closer, year selection boxes pop up , instead of the date circles. I find the boxes work better for the detail in what I'm doing

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks